Standard User 'Rights' WinXP Pro

• David_D
  • David_D

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello all :D,

I have a really silly problem that maybe someone could help me with:

for various reasons - laziness being one of them - I have always logged on with 'Admin' rights, but for some days, I had to create a second User on my PC (WinXP Pro / SP2 etc.). When the second User signs in, several system settings were unavailable, one being "Desktop Settings" i.e. when the User 'right-clicks' on the desktop, nothing happens!

I have tried checking on the 'Local User' (lusrmgr.msc) and Group (gpedit.msc) policies - this PC is in a home 'WORKGROUP' environment by the way - which have never been edited, and therefore in 'pristine' condition, that is nothing seems to be 'set' that can block this particular event.

I have been here: <http://download.microsoft.com/download/a/a/3/aa32239c-3a23-46ef-ba8b-da786e167e5e/PolicySettings.xls> (will download an Excel Workbook!), also without result :banghead:

I also do not wish to grant the User 'Admin' Rights due to the 'Skill Levels' of the User, I wish to protect myself, the other User AND the PC.

My question: "Can anyone tell me which 'Policy', 'Right' or 'Registry Key' can allow/disallow the User doing a right-click on the desktop and opening the properties dialog at the 'Desktop' tab??

Thanks for your valuable assistance,

David D.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

The Group Policy setting is located here:

User configuration|Administrative Templates|Windows Components|Windows Explorer|Disable Windows Explorer's default context menu

As for the registry the key is here:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer. Right click at an empty area on the right column and select New > DWORD Value. Use the name NoViewContextMenu. Double click the name and set the value data as 1.
  • David_D
  • David_D

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi 'grinch2171',

thank you for your prompt suggestion ...

I cannot check right now ... I'm at work for the next 5 hours or so :-(

as soon as I can check the data, I'll feedback on that.

Bye 4 now,

David D.
  • David_D
  • David_D

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi 'grinch2171',

Back again .... ;-)

Just on a vague hunch - about the name of the Policy setting, - I have checked here at work, and this setting only seems to remove the context / right-click menu.

This is not the problem I described, the User gets the context menu and can select 'properties' but the Settings dialog does not appear.

Also when this dialog is selected to open, for example from the 'XP View' of the system controls, when the User wants to alter aspects of the appearence of windows, the dialog will be opened - with the selected tab - but as soon as she clicks on the 'Desktop' tab, the dialog closes! No errors are displayed.

Brgds,

David D.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe I misread your post but you stated:
Quote:
when the User 'right-clicks' on the desktop, nothing happens

Which is exactly what that policy does. Then you go on to state:
Quote:
Can anyone tell me which 'Policy', 'Right' or 'Registry Key' can allow/disallow the User doing a right-click on the desktop and opening the properties dialog

Again, this is what that policy does.

So either you are not explaining yourself correctly or my understanding of the English language has deteriorated dramatically overnight.
  • David_D
  • David_D

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi 'grinch2171',

you were quite right in your posting :'Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:38 am', although the attribute was shown as 'Not Set', I set this to 'Disabled', which, if I'm right, will allow the context menu to appear.

Hving done that I logged back in as 'Std.User' and @ 'right-click' the context did appear. However, when I selected the 'properties' menu, the 'Display Properties' dialog does not appear. I then set the User back to 'Admin', and everything functioned as one would expect.

I am still beating my brains out why, on this PC, the standard User cannot open the 'Display Properties' dialog. Local Security/User rights have no reference to any similar function BUT, I did just notice that I get an error opening the 'Local Security Policies' console ... I'm beginning to think the whole Installation has become corrupted ... Before I bother you all again, spending hours and days on this, I'll reinstall Windows from scratch :-(

I wish to thank you for your patience, I will probably start a new installation in around 24 hours from now - on what *was* my weekend, but should you have any other ideas before then, please do post them.

Best Regards from 'old Europe'

David D.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you mean that the Display Properties windows does not display at all or it displays with no options?

What error do you get opening the Local Security Policy snap-in? I'm not sure if a regular user account can open it.
  • David_D
  • David_D

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi!

sorry for the delay ... we're snowed down with work!

The The Desktop Properties dialog does not come up at all with standard user rights .. nothing happens, no dialog or errors

I opened the snap-in with my own (admin group) rights
the error - whidh I do not have to hand, involved a missing or bad DB as far as I can remember right now.
I was afraid you were going to ask that ;-) ... my OS is a german one and therefore not particularely easy to tranlate the concepts, they do not translate 1:1 unfortunately :-(
eg: the German for Control Panel translates to 'System Steuerung', which when translated back = 'System Controls'. This makes the tranlation rather tricky and prone to misunderstandings!

Greets,

David D.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts