STOP 0x0000008E on every shutdown or logoff

• SSBN640
  • Born
  • Born
  • SSBN640

Post 3+ Months Ago

Every time I shutdown or logoff my Dell Inspiron 2650 laptop windows crashes with the BSOD.

I get a STOP 0x0000008E(0xC000005, 0X8060AB13, 0XF78ACAA0, 0X00000000)

I have gotten different values for the 0xF78ACAA0 like 0xF797CAA0.
There is no indication of a specific driver or file that is causing the crash. When I reboot and send an error report to Microsoft, the response is that a non Microsoft driver has caused the crash and Microsoft can't help.

How do I find out what driver is causing this crash? My OS is windows XP Professional, and I've already verified I have plenty of disk space, and updated my Dell Inspiron BIOS to A13 without any success.

I suspect these crashes are due to my McAfee Anti-Virus software (VirusScan Enterprise 7.0.0).

Cheers,
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

By the way you stated your question, I'm guessing that you already read the MSDN BugCheck article on Stop 0x8E KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED, but for those reading later who haven't the info on the error is here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/defau ... 55.xml.asp

(As an aside here's a very handy quick reference for anyone troubleshooting stop errors: http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php)

In this case "Parameter 2 (the exception address) should pinpoint the driver or function that caused this problem" (which in your case is 0X8060AB13) Unfortunately, most people aren't equiped to debug stop codes (including myself). However the additional troubleshooting tips should provide some help:

Quote:
Hardware incompatibility. First, make sure that any new hardware installed is listed on the Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility List (HCL).
If you have recently installed any new hardware, check the HCL at this link to be sure your new hardware is compatible with XP http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx?gssnb=1

Quote:
Faulty device driver or system service. In addition, a faulty device driver or system service might be responsible for this error. Hardware issues, such as BIOS incompatibilities, memory conflicts, and IRQ conflicts can also generate this error.

If a driver is listed by name within the bug check message, disable or remove that driver. Disable or remove any drivers or services that were recently added. If the error occurs during the startup sequence and the system partition is formatted with NTFS file system, you might be able to use Safe Mode to rename or delete the faulty driver. If the driver is used as part of the system startup process in Safe Mode, you need to start the computer by using the Recovery Console to access the file.

Have you installed any new drivers recently or upgraded any new drivers? The above may help narrow those down.

If you can give us an idea of anything you may have changed relative to hardware or drivers (or software) in your system prior to these errors, let us know.

Why do you suspect your Anti-Virus software?
  • SSBN640
  • Born
  • Born
  • SSBN640

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes I've checked into the MSDN article you posted. unfortunately like you, I don't have the tools to debug stop codes.

My problems first appeared when I was trying to install a USB to Serial converter for my Laptop. (It's annoying that DELL has stopped manufacturing PC's with D-shell serial ports. I do allot of work with legacy hardware that requires these ports. This could be the topic of another lengthy discussion.) Regardless, I tried several USB to Serial convertors and PCMCIA devices to find a successful serial port.

Why do I suspect my Anti-Virus software. Well, I've tried shutting down all software before logging off or rebooting my PC, and find that if I can get the Mcshield.exe process to shut down the STOP fault doesn't appear. If Mcshield is running... CRASH!

I'm curious about how to "pinpoint the driver or function that caused this problem" 0X8060AB13

Thanks for the info. though. 8)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Troubleshooting thoughts:

1) Temporarily, disable the USB serial converter but leave Mcshield running and see if it crashes or not. If it doesn't it may have to do with it and not Mcshield.
2) Mcshield is a necessary service for McAfee real time file access scanning so disabling it permanently wouldn't be desired. However, if you can consistantly log off and shut down without errors if the service is disabled, then it might be beneficial to uninstall and reinstall (or repair) your McAfee installation.
3) Check your system and application event log. The last service or application being shut down or stopped in the event log is likely to be your culprit, or at least the "trigger".

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts