strange problem

• mkacan
  • Born
  • Born
  • mkacan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, i have a strange dillema...

For some reason or another, after a particular restart, my computer would go as far as the Sorry Windows XP didn't load properly, blah blah blah, please choose which method you would like to start windows...

no matter which method i choose, my computer gets so far as the Windows XP logo loading with the green bars, a superquick flash at a blue screen, and then restarts, taking me back to the same place where i started.

i can't load from my Windows XP disk, because when I go to my BIOS, it wont let me select load from a CD-ROM, it simply ignores me when i press the enter key, as if i never gave the BIOS a command, yet any other section (secuirty etc...) allows me to control and adjust the settings in the BIOS

ok, so I got desperate

i decided to format, which turned out to be even more fun becase...

a) since i can't boot from a Windows XP cd, i cant get to Windows setup to format and partition

b) i created an MS-DOS boot disk from the other comp running Windows XP in my house, yet that disk takes me to the same windows startup screen (the first one i mentioned)

i cant get into safe mode, or anything else... all i am able to do is get to that first screen and get to my BIOS

one thing i havent tried is starting up with a windows me bootdisk... which i think can get me to a comman prompt and hopefully from there to a d: (CD-ROM) prompt

but i am running out of ideas...

any smart techies out there want to show me how much of a n00b i am and give me a way to fix this? =)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I've tried this twice in two weeks and both times worked, one with my problem not recognizing hard drives and another here at OZZU not being able to boot to win98. Remove the CMOS battery for about 30 seconds and try again. The worst that can happen is you'll have to reset your clock if Windows loads.
  • mkacan
  • Born
  • Born
  • mkacan

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for the advice, but i figured out one other way...

ok, i cannot explain the logic behind this, but this is what i did, and Im not kidding

i inserted the recovery CD and the MS-DOS boot diskette

went to BIOS and found that although i could not enter or disable which devices i wanted to load by using the enter key for some reason, i found i was able to rank the order in which you they could be used (using the + or - keys) why these keys worked and the others didnt i dont know

upon restarting, i pressed SHIFT-F8 repteadly, got to the windows setup cd, but then i wasnt allowed to partition or reinstall, it would restart, undaunted, i went back and went to the Windows recovery section, which for some reason took me to a c prompt

a straight, normal C prompt

a nice little c:\ format c:

and 83% thru i am glowingly writing you this messege

thank you for helping (mr. moderator) and thanks to those who atleast thought about a way around this...

i have no idea how this system works, if there is any logic behind it, i would love to know
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, hopefully it continues on the good trend it seems to be progressing towards. I reread your post twice and still have no idea what exactly happened, but at least it appears you are on your way to success. *wishes you the best*

//Ps....after rereading your last post a couple times, there's an outside chance that you have a bad keyboard. Just something to consider if problems persist.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts