Streaming video problem

• Zwirko
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: 55° N, 3° W

Post 3+ Months Ago

My main pastime on the internet is watching videos, particularly science lectures. However, since purchasing a new router my video watching time has been ruined to the point of being next to impossible.

When I start playing a video everything is normal, but then I notice that the video has stopped loading. Once I "catch up" with the preloaded content playback stops and no more video is buffered. If it happens to be a YouTube video I can refresh the page and skip to where I got stalled; this doesn't work for all flash-based players though. Playback stops with any browser I've used (Opera, Chrome, FF, Safari and IE) and normally stalls after I've watched 20-60% of the video - regardless of size.

I had to manually configure the router when installing so I don't know if there's something going on in there. The router documentation is one of those seriously unhelpful affairs that assumes that the user is a network guru and knows everything already. Maybe it's not even a router issue? But it did start on the same day, so...

I'm on Vista HP using an ASUS N-11 wireless router.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I read this thread pretty quickly. Similar problems to yours from some of those posts and several odds and ends ideas on resolution. It appears that many had the same problem as you particularly when gaming which would be about the same as your videos.

I was having a similar problem with my linksys router recently when gaming also. It not only disconnected my wireless, but even would disconnect my girlfriend's pc which is wired. I did two things to fix it. I changed it to "G" only, and changed the wireless security to WEP and set up a shared key. Since then I haven't had a single issue with dropout on either computer.
  • Zwirko
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: 55° N, 3° W

Post 3+ Months Ago

I saw that particular thread on my search results, but scrolled past it. I think the word "whirpool" must have thrown me off - it's a make of kitchen appliances here.

In that thread it was revealed that turning off the routers firewall solved the 5-10 min drop out problem. I've done that and I'm now happily watching my "Discovery of the Archaea" video with the full video buffered to 100%. Yay!

Thanks for that ATNO, this has really made my day. I was getting withdrawal systems without my videos.

I'll look in to the firewall config later.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts