Stupid windows question

• Willy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Willy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, I REALLY hate when XP has my folders display thumbnails pretty big of everything in its contents... I can't really find a folder options to fix this problem either. I've set my view to "list" god knows how many times, told it to remember it and apply it to all windows but no luck . . .

Anyone else have this frustration?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I did it the easy way. As soon as I install the service pack for XP, I immediately change my view to Windows Classic. I'm not overly fond of XP's icons. I haven't ever had any problems with folder views doing it that way.
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

you know how when you shut down/reboot/logout, one of the tihngs it odes before it reboots is "Saving Your Settings"? This is meant to be the time when things like the location of icons in a folder, and on the desktop, and the display settings for folder, gets written to disk rather than stored in memory. If your PC crashes often this doesn't happen, and therefore when you boot up it will put everything back to how it was before.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

rjstephens wrote:
you know how when you shut down/reboot/logout, one of the tihngs it odes before it reboots is "Saving Your Settings"? This is meant to be the time when things like the location of icons in a folder, and on the desktop, and the display settings for folder, gets written to disk rather than stored in memory. If your PC crashes often this doesn't happen, and therefore when you boot up it will put everything back to how it was before.

Perhaps he may be hitting that power button on the front of the computer vs. actually doing a shut-down? i.e. same net effect. I was actually thinking about this when I saw your answer and that definately makes sense.
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

well with modern PCs, the power button usually sends a signal to the OS to do a proper shutdown, like when you go Start -> shutdown. But when I did it just now to test that theory, it shut down in less than 5 seconds, and I wasn't even asked wether or not I wanted to save the NSIS script I had open. When you press the power button it *really* rushes the shutdown. All your programs die and you get the desktop, then you get the "windows is shutting down message" and then your pc turns off.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

My experience, no matter what OS -- if the Shutdown is rushed, be it a crash or an intentional hard reset or power off it does not retain anything left in RAM. You can prove this by opening Word. Create a new doc and type a couple lines. Save it. Hit your power button. Reboot and go back to Word. That last temp doc should normally be in your most recent docs list, but it won't be. Same goes for any other program I know of and I'd have to assume the same goes for Explorer settings.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I did remember something that might help here. In the View Tab of Folder Options, there is a place to "Remember Each Folders View Settings" - make sure that's checked.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts