Swapping Windows Domain

• devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm swapping some PCs to another domain. I found a utility called ProfWiz which seems to do a good job of copying the profile over. Maybe too good cause everything stays mapped. So, the current users have profiles like: mjohnson.BBGS/ and I want to be able to keep those settings and programs. The problem is with the My Documents. It is getting redirected to the BBGS server. The network Admin told me that when I disconnect from the domain that it will restore the My Documents location. That didn't work. Is there anyway on the Client side to stop this redirection? I've looked in the registry at the Shell folders, but I saw other special folders but not My Documents. I also installed TweakUI for XP and it didn't help. When I look at the properties of My Documents it just says the server path (\\BBGS\user\etc\My Documents) and doesn't give me any options to change it. If I login as the local Admin when I look in C:\Documents and Settings\mjohnson\ I see Desktop/ and other folders but not My Documents. It doesn't seem I can get around the permissions.

1. I need a way to cancel the redirection, preferrably on client side so I don't have to trouble with the current network admin.
2. I can backup the redirected My Documents and just re-create the folder in the user's profile where it's missing and that seems like it could work, but how do I add it to the Start Menu. When I go to the Start Menu properties, I can select to add the My documents folder as a link, menu, not to display but it only deals with the redirected folder. If I could somehow get a folder in the start menu I could then just hide the redirected folder and I'd be good to go.

Please give me your thoughts. If GPO is the only way to go then I will have to figure something out.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Usually folder redirection is setup via GPO but if the PCs are on a new domain, that domain group policy should have overridden the old GPO settings.

The registry keys for folder redirection are listed here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 9194(WS.10).aspx#w2k3tr_gpfdr_tools_imgu
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Got it. I was able to swap the location of the folders by changing the registry keys.

I have another problem that has popped up. One client had been off the old domain for quite awhile but the machine still had the My Documents folder mapped to //Domain/User/My Documents and she was using the folder.

Everyone was suppose to have a backup and I swapped her to my domain and fixed her folders. Is there a way to recover the files in that folder or does everything get obliterated when the domain changes? Once the domain was changed on the machine the folder wouldn't access that folder, but it would when the machine was set to the old domain and I guess just assumed that it would sync up whenever it got back online with the server.

Thanks.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts