Switching from passworded to autologin

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

When I setup Vista I went ahead and entered a password for my account during setup. Now I would like to switch it so that my account logs on automatically when Vista starts instead of being presented with the login screen.

I'm still a little overwhelmed with Vistas' configuration stuff though, not sure where to look.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Start > search bar: netplwiz
Users > highlight account
Uncheck must enter a username and password
Apply (confirm with password)

That's what I did with mine at home to reenable auto login. I'm the only user on the machine, though. I suspect that if you have multiple, you'll get something familiar to the click-and-enter page from XP.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Using the search bar on the bottom of the start menu just opened a search results window with no results. I'd added the run menu to the start menu awhile ago though, and using netplwiz there opened a user accounts dialog I haven't seen yet right up.

I haven't restarted the system yet, but it seems like it should be exactly what I was looking for.

Thank you sir. :D
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Using the search bar on the bottom of the start menu just opened a search results window with no results. I'd added the run menu to the start menu awhile ago though, and using netplwiz there opened a user accounts dialog I haven't seen yet right up.

I guess once you add Run, that will disable the search bar Run functionality. I had it added to my home PC but I accidentally discovered the search bar would handle run commands one day at work, so I've gone without Run since. I really like the thing - I hardly ever open All Programs any more.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

When customizing the start menu, there's an option in the list labeled "Search Programs" and that seems to be the option that will let the search bar launch programs.

Definitely leaving that one checked. :D

The "Run command" option doesn't seem to affect it.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts