System Volume Information

• Ragnar78
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ragnar78

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hy,

Can anyone help me and givem me a hint on how to access the System Volume Information folder?

Whatever i do it tells me Access Denied...

Now my AV found an AdWare inside but he always stops the access to it and never deltes it...so i was wandering if i can manually do it..

Tx for the help
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

That folder contains system restore information. Here's a page that may be of use to you: http://www.theeldergeek.com/system_volu ... older1.htm

Following the instructions at the above site, you should be able to gain access to that folder and manually remove the offending file.

If not, then you should be able to use the recovery console to fix the problem.

Hope this helps.
  • Ragnar78
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ragnar78

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hy,
Tx for the reply,
I've already been into that page and did everything instructed...
But it was still an Access Denied...

Now i've checked the Recovery Console webpage...but i still dont understand what it's suppose to do ither than repair windows?
will it delete all the files in the System Volume Information?
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not sure why you can't get access to that folder. *shrug*

Anyway, the recovery console doesn't repair windows. Not like a repair installation does. The recovery console gives you access to a windows installation through a command prompt. Since it runs off of the CD, no windows files on the hard drive are in use so you should be able to delete the file that is giving you the problem. By the way, what is the name of the file that is giving you trouble?

Once the recovery console is loaded, you should be able to go into the System volume information folder and delete the problem file. I'm surprised that there is even an adware file in that folder.

Before you try the recovery console, you might try turning of 'system restore' and then turning it back on. This will delete all of your current restore points and may get rid of the problem file as well. I'm not sure.

Good Luck
  • Ragnar78
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ragnar78

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hy again...
now i have another spyware that has been detected ...i'm just wandering if these are not some false AV alert.

I have contacted PC Cillin...and i 'm hopping to get an answer for it asap...

:onfire:
  • tehsleeper
  • Born
  • Born
  • tehsleeper

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had the same problem and this link helped...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... -us;309531

# Click Start, and then click My Computer.
# On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
# On the View tab, click Show hidden files and folders.
# Clear the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) check box. Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the change.
# Clear the Use simple file sharing (Recommended) check box.
# Click OK.
# Right-click the System Volume Information folder in the root folder, and then click Properties.
# Click the Security tab.
# Click Add, and then type the name of the user to whom you want to give access to the folder. Typically, this is the account with which you are logged on. Click OK, and then click OK.
# Double-click the System Volume Information folder in the root folder to open it.

It was the SIMPLE FILE SHARING that was the problem. I could then remove all the users w/access to the folder and add myself.
  • Ragnar78
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ragnar78

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thx again...i'll try it asap...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts