my system32ntoskrnl.exe is missing any words of advice

• john kreimer
  • Born
  • Born
  • john kreimer

Post 3+ Months Ago

i was deleting some programs of my computer and i remeber seeing one warning about ableton live linked to some file but i didnt think it would damage anything anyways when i went to get on my computer later it said file is missing or corrupt <windowsroot>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

i had 2 computers that would not start no both labtops on is a hp compaq nx9030 and the other a toshiba satellite i dont have the original xp disk anymore so i downloaded a copy or somthing like that to a disk and followed the instructions whiched now fixed the hp labtop but not my toshiba i have the recovery disk for my toshiba but i have programs and files from producing 2 unfinnished albums so i cant reformat till i get those files atleast when i run the xp startup disk it wont go to the recovery unless i repeatedly press f5 and pick something about standard pc with c-step i486 somthing like that if i dont do that it freezes on setup is starting windows so when i get past this i type r to repair and get this

1: c\windows
which windows installation would you like to log onto
(to cancel, press enter)? i press one if i press anything else it says its not a valid command i then get

c:\windows> i type in chkdsk /r and get
volume sq003928 created 03/08/04 03:55p
the volume serial number is b4bd-a73c
chkdsk is checking volume...
chkdsk is performing additional checking or recovery...
its gose to 50% completed pauses then i hear the cd running it speeds up to 75% then drops to 50% again. after a few minutes it says
the volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems
c\windows>
c\windows> it wont let me bootcfg /rebuild

any help? if all else fails and i cant get it fixed is it possible to have my files pulled off my hard drive atleast? thanks for you help in advance
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can you do a restore point?
  • john kreimer
  • Born
  • Born
  • john kreimer

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for responding but no i cant get onto windows to even pick that option. if i hit f8 when i reboot it'll take me to the option to start it in safemode or start from last know good configuration or something along that line but it still will not go to windows with either option unless theres another way of choosing a restore point?
  • pccare_himanshu
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • pccare_himanshu

Post 3+ Months Ago

Insert the Microsoft Windows XP CD. Note: If you have a recovery CD or a restore CD and not a Microsoft Windows XP CD it is likely the below steps will not resolve your issue.

Reboot the computer, as the computer is starting you should see a message to press any key to boot from the CD. When you see this message press any key.

In the Microsoft Windows XP setup menu press the R key to enter the recovery console.

Select the operating system you wish to fix, and then enter the administrator password.

Type expand d:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ c:\windows\system32

You will then be prompted if you wish to overwrite the file type Y and press enter to overwrite the file.

Type exit to reboot the computer.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts