Taskbar and desktop icons disapper

• PenTaGon
  • Student
  • Student
  • PenTaGon
  • Loc: FL

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have yet to figure out why my taskbar, systray etc.. (entire start bar) and desktop icons will 'exit' out or crash..not sure exactly what is going on. It only seems to occur when I click on certain folders. Sometimes it does it some time it doesn't. Thankfully the task bar and desktop returns within a few seconds, it is just very annoying. any help on this would be great appreciated.
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've seen this problem before but I can't remember the exact solution. Sometimes its related to 3rd party applications context menu entries (right click menus) or sometimes because of media files.

Do the folders that cause explorer to crash contain music, videos or pictures? Try and see if you can narrow the type of files that in these folders.

In the mean time, I'll look around for specific solutions.

btw, what version of windows are you using?
  • PenTaGon
  • Student
  • Student
  • PenTaGon

Post 3+ Months Ago

windows xp pro, yea the folders do have media in them (videos and images). thanks
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the info. Just hang tight and I'll see if I can find the fix for the particular problem.
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you installed any video codecs recently?

Okay, lets see if we can narrow this down further:

Go to Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Event Viewer

Try looking in System and Application for errors that relate to explorer crashing.
  • PenTaGon
  • Student
  • Student
  • PenTaGon

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmm...

only thing i could really find was in applications

"The shell stopped unexpectedly and Explorer.exe was restarted."

that wasn't at the time it happened though..so im not sure.
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm, not much help there. Do you have photoshop installed. If so, what version. If not, try disabling thumbnail view for those folders and see if the problem goes away. Maybe from there we can try to figure out something.

Also, go back to event viewer and see if you can find errors that occurred approximately around the time explorer crashed. perhaps errors related to .dll files.
  • PenTaGon
  • Student
  • Student
  • PenTaGon

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have photoshop 7.0 and CS (8.0). only DLL error i found was this

"wuaueng.dll (824) SUS20ClientDataStore: The database engine stopped the instance (0)."

it occurs frequently everyday..don't know why.

it happened at about 8pm and no errors are recorded at that time.
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know that Photoshop 7 has it's own thumbnail generator for .psd files. Sometimes that will cause problems. Do you have any .psd files in the folders that cause the crash?
  • PenTaGon
  • Student
  • Student
  • PenTaGon

Post 3+ Months Ago

no just thumbnails. I would like to turn thumbnails off all together but im not sure how
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you can open the folder in question, the just right-click in an empty area of the window, select View > icons. Or whatever view you prefer other than thumbnail view.

You can also set one view for all folders:

In any explorer window, right click, select View > Icons, go to Tools menu > folder options > View Tab and click 'Apply to all folders'. Again, just select your preferred view mode other than Thumbnail.
  • PenTaGon
  • Student
  • Student
  • PenTaGon

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks bud, couldn't have paid for better assistance :)
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

You're welcome. That may solve your problem but I still want to see I can find a better 'fix'. I just haven't been able to locate what I need. Check back here periodically for new posts. You should be able to use thumbnail view if you want; if indeed that is the problem.

If you do have any .psd files in those folders, right click, select properties, go to the photoshop tab and uncheck 'Generate thumbnail'.

Good luck.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts