Taskbar freezes

• Ragnar78
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ragnar78

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does anyone knows why the taskbar freezes for a while (sometime a long while) when the computer is started
Im using XP Pro
thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• IH8Purple
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Somewhere on Google Earth

Post 3+ Months Ago

posibbly to many prgrams trying to load at once, take some programs ff your boot list, or buy more ram
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

is it possible that you're loading a bunch of stuff in your systray? Are you running a personal web server and/or a database locally?
  • Heart
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Welcome To, Crazy World!

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sounds like a lack of memory. If you say it's on your start up than you have way too much crap loading on startup. This is Microsofts great idea. I believe they did this with W2K as well.. When you get so low on memory than windows becomes unusable and or just completely slow and laggy.

So, it's either 2 things. Either you have too much crap starting up when you boot up or it's just some kind of virus..

Go to RUN in your START button and type in msconfig, then go to Startup. From there you can choose what you do and don't want windows to startup on startup. Really, you do not need any of the things listed on that list to startup. Windows will run just fine and dandy without any of them checked. Only things I would allow to startup is things like you Anti-virus or just things you REALLY REALLY REALLY want to startup.. Just remember the more crap you have on your startup the longer it will take you to boot up.

You might also want to by more memory if you haven't already. With todays programs and the fact that you run XP you need at least 512k RAM. Sure Windows will run on 128 but that is what I like to call "cruel and unusual punishment".

It might also be some kind of virus of some sort. May want to try running Spybot and or Adaware if msconfig doesn't work.
  • Ragnar78
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ragnar78

Post 3+ Months Ago

I do have 512 ram, so i dont think its memory, and i dont have database...

And actually i can use normally all the icons on the desktop and launch the programs normaly, but the taskbar stays as is and take sometime to load
I checked for viruses and adware spyware...and the computer is clean...

As for the programs that loads are: the antivirus, the volume, msn, nvidia icon, i removed styleXP and it still did the same....
  • Heart
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Welcome To, Crazy World!

Post 3+ Months Ago

Than it sounds like you got some kind of glitch in your GUI that is causing this. Also, what sys brand are you running?

I think I have had this problem before but I don't really remember how I fixed it. I actually think it fixed itself but I just don't recall.

The only real advice I have for you if no one else here can help than try searching microsofts site and or you computer's brand's site for the problem.

Also, If you system is a HP than :lol:
  • Ragnar78
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ragnar78

Post 3+ Months Ago

my sys is a self made :lol:
Actually it fixed itself today...(dont ask me why or how)...
Still i went on ms site but their was nothing concerning this problem
thx for all the help from everybody
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've watched this thread today Ragnar78, but was clueless on how to help. Glad you got it fixed. If, per chance, you ever do discover how it got fixed, please feel welcome to dig this thread back up and post the solution. One of the goals here is to provide as many correct solutions as possible so the rest of the world can benefit in the future (Well, OK -- I just made that up -- but it sounded good as I was typing it). We would like to know if you do ever figure out what happened.
  • Ragnar78
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ragnar78

Post 3+ Months Ago

I honnestly wish i knew what happened and how it got fixed (cause the symptoms actually disapeared by themeselves)...but i trully don't know.
I think my PC has the flue :o (dont know where it comes from, dont know when it will go :wink: )

I' ve been checking the ms Knowledge Base, but nothing to be found.
I think it might just be XP who isn't managing things correctly sometimes:

For example:
I posted a topic concerning my XP rebooting instead of shuting down when i try to turn it off.
It appeared that in the Settings that i had (control panel, system, Startup and Recovery) the "automaticly restart" was checked. But it should restart only if i have an improper shutdown. So that mean every shutdown i made was not correct.

By digging further i found that it was possible to slow the shutdown process to actually be certain that the shutdown process was correct.

Quote:
To prolong this time-out period, you can modify a registry value. The default time-out value (20 seconds) is stored in the WaitToKillAppTimeout value in the following registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

This value is expressed in milliseconds. You can use Registry Editor to modify this value and then restart the computer for the change to take effect.

NOTE: In general, it is best to refrain from increasing the shutdown time. For example, if your computer loses power, your uninterruptible power supply (UPS) may not be able to provide backup power for the computer long enough to allow all the processes, as well as the operating system, to shut down properly

This is taken from microsoft....
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305788&Product=winxp#2

So i still think an SP2 is need for the XP handeling :?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts