Taskbar freezing after connecting to internet

• tazmayneo
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • tazmayneo
  • Loc: Saipan

Post 3+ Months Ago

If it's opening the search thing and going to change preferences, don't bother typing up instructions. lol I disabled it earlier.

Edit- Just wanted to say that even when that was enabled, I was still having problems.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, I was just looking at the same thing:

see: http://forums.vnunet.com/thread.jsp?for ... age=171726
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yup Lol

What's this prizesurfer.exe? do you have this installed?
  • tazmayneo
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • tazmayneo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not that I know of... that filename looks familiar though. I know I had that waaaaaaaaaay back, but deleted it.

I just got disconnected, and when it reconnected the taskbar froze. *Rolls eyes* So it ain't MsgPlus.exe. lol
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

tazmayneo wrote:
If it's opening the search thing and going to change preferences, don't bother typing up instructions. lol I disabled it earlier.

Edit- Just wanted to say that even when that was enabled, I was still having problems.

Are you talking about the Indexing Service? If not enter this in Start > Run: services.msc

scroll down to indexing service and stop that. Then right click on it, select properties and set that to disabled. It's an unnecessary resource hog in any case.
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

tazmayneo wrote:
Not that I know of... that filename looks familiar though. I know I had that waaaaaaaaaay back, but deleted it.

I just got disconnected, and when it reconnected the taskbar froze. *Rolls eyes* So it ain't MsgPlus.exe. lol

I think maybe something is left, what's the date of this error?

//EDIT: ^ Follow Jim's instructions too, I was referinng to that in a later post
  • tazmayneo
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • tazmayneo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yep, that's the one I'm talking about. I disabled that several hours ago. lol

What's the date of what error?
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry, lol

Faulting application prizesurfer.exe, version 1.0.5.0, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x000c0100.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

This one
  • tazmayneo
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • tazmayneo

Post 3+ Months Ago

1/26/2004
2/1
2/5

Before May... I also had this a76f1a2v6x.exe which screwed up my computer bad. I couldn't even use the computer because a crapload of its processes would run and drive the CPU Usage up. But I doubt that has anything to do with it.
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I ran across a thread on another forum that suggested NAV could be the culprit. It was several months old however so I'm doubtful that's the case.

Labrego pointed this thread out to me:
http://www.ozzu.com/mswindows-forum/windows-taskbar-freezes-again-t22061.html

IF nothing comes of these ideas or prizesurfer.exe I vote that you try this:

Close all programs, type this from Start > Run: sfc /scannow.

Have your XP CD ready to insert.

If the problem still persists, you might try a repair install:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... -us;315341

Use method 2.
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Or you may try to stop Norton's services, Norton is a memory hog, and you have only 128MB, try to stop their services and see what happen
  • tazmayneo
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • tazmayneo

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'll try that when I get back. It's now 11:28am, and I've been awake since 4pm yesterday trying to figure this thing out. I've got a headache and I really wanna start pulling my hair out. Thanks for all the help. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Edit- And that thread that you last posted about changing the properties for the internet connection, that was the first thing I tried, and it didn't work. lol
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

If windows is using a lot of virtual memory, which it will if you only have 128MB, then that might account for the problem. I wished I'd noticed the the fact that you only had 128mb. I came to this thread late and didn't see that. Was focusing on the hijack this log. The extra resources required to run a browser and related programs could account for it.

In fact:
tazmayneo wrote:
Alright. I rebooted, ended MsgPlus.exe, connected to the internet. I tried to open SlimBrowser, but it seemed like it froze. And then several seconds later, it let up but SBrowser didn't open. So I opened Task Manager and ended sbrowser.exe, and it froze again. So I opened Opera and came here. As I was typing up the second sentence, the taskbar unfroze(pretty fast compared to before lol). So, I don't know if it's MsgPlus.exe or what.

Seems like when you decrease the number of programs that are running the problem decreases. I'm assuming you were able to use slimbrowser before without problem. Have you started using more programs simultaneously just prior to this problem? Also, see if the hard drive is being accessed while the taskbar is frozen.

I'm going to take a break and grab a snack. Good luck with this.
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

128MB is not enough to run NAV, I noticed that too when I ran across another forum thread saying NAV eats too much memory. And your problem seems more like a delayed response from the system than a complete freezing.
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

JrzyCrim wrote:
I'm going to take a break and grab a snack. Good luck with this.

Hey, why don't you invite me?? LOL
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm sorry. We should toss down a few brews... :beerchug:
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

cheers! hic! :handsup:

EDIT: Don't worry tazmayneo, we wait for you, have a nice rest
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Some additional information:

O16 - DPF: {1D4DB7D2-6EC9-47A3-BD87-1E41684E07BB} - http://ak.imgfarm.com/images/nocache/fu ... .0.0.8.cab

I've seen this around before and the general consensus is to get rid of it:
http://forum.gladiator-antivirus.com/in ... opic=14639

Removal instructions are provided there as well.

If this entry is still present, fix it:
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {029CA12C-89C1-46a7-A3C7-82F2F98635CB} - (no file)

Some more useful info: http://computercops.biz/postt7736.html
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Ocean City , Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

How ya doing (i'am a ding bat ) I had no idea this was 6 pages ,lol
never saw it on the bottom.

http://torque.oncloud8.com/archives/000355.html

tell you how to get rid of that prizefighter

I didn't like that site to much ,,so here

http://www.2-spyware.com/file-prizesurfer-exe.html

http://www.liutilities.com/products/win ... izesurfer/

http://www.liutilities.com/products/win ... ry/rcsync/

http://www.pestpatrol.com/pestinfo/p/prizesurfer.asp

http://www.windowsstartup.com/wso/brows ... 75&end=200
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

MOC wrote:
How ya doing (i'am a ding bat ) I had no idea this was 6 pages ,lol
never saw it on the bottom.

http://torque.oncloud8.com/archives/000355.html

tell you how to get rid of that prizefighter

seems that or prizesurfer thing was only remanent of an old or bad uninstall, since there's no rcsync.exe or prizesurfer.exe process running in hijack log.

//EDIT: ding bat? naw, it's good to see more people trying to help :wink:

//EDIT2: nice findings Jim
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's not listed in his running processes so It's gone. That event log error was from last January.
  • tazmayneo
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • tazmayneo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
It's not listed in his running processes so It's gone.

Her. :p

Quote:
128MB is not enough to run NAV, I noticed that too when I ran across another forum thread saying NAV eats too much memory. And your problem seems more like a delayed response from the system than a complete freezing.

Yeah, pretty much. I was thinking that for a long time, but then I was wondering "why only now?" It was running fine when the comp. shop fixed the virus or whatever it was. They even updated NAV(that's what they said anyway lol).

Quote:
If windows is using a lot of virtual memory, which it will if you only have 128MB, then that might account for the problem.

Yes, I was looking at the system information once and noticed that only 8mb was free! Boy am I in trouble. lol

Quote:
Have you started using more programs simultaneously just prior to this problem?

I don't think so. I've always ran the same programs. The only thing that's different is the amount of music I have on this computer. Maybe I'll try getting some more RAM. See if that helps the problem.

Btw, what's the difference between Physical Memory and Virtual Memory? I just checked System Information, and I have 12.57MB of physical memory available and 106MB of virtual memory available.
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry for the 'his' mistake. I always get into trouble with that one. :oops: It's a guy thing I guess...

Virtual memory is stored in a 'page file' on your hard drive. When your system is low on physical memory, windows will rely on virtual memory and this slows things down dramatically simply because accessing the hard drive is much slower than accessing RAM. I think in your case this is causing the bulk of your problems because windows has to constantly read and right to the page file.

In the interim, until you acquire more memory, I would suggest you go through this thread and fix the other items that were mentioned after you left. That should alleviate some of the problems. Also, you might want to visit this sight and 'tweak' some services. By disabling unnecessary services, you will free up valuable system resources.
http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

Good luck with everything and pleas feel free to post more questions or ask for help about anything. :)

If you think about it, check to see if your hard drive is being accessed when your task bar freezes. That would explain the problem because windows is busy doing that and doesn't have time for other things.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm sorry -- I am so slow. I just remember that I had this problem severely once and it was whenever I opened internet explorer browser (I'm on broadband and was at the time as well so I'm always connected). But I was getting this too where everything would freeze for a long time, sometimes the browser would crash and sometimes it was so bad I had to reboot. What I finally found out after probably close to a month of frustration with it was the Internet Explorer cache settings was set to store 1.6 GB of cached files.

What was happening was everytime I'd request a new page, the browser would be scrambling through about 1.6 GB (cache was almost full). I also only have 128MB RAM in this machine. What I did was clear cache and change the cache limit to 10 MB. Then I went in and manually deleted all the temporary intenet files that were still left in Windows Explorer.

Problem solved. I can't say that's your problem, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to check. My problem was resolved immediately after doing this.

Sorry I didn't think of it yesterday.
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

*good point ATNO

This is what you do:

1. run Internet Explorer.
2. click 'Tools' menu then click 'Internet Options'.
3. ensure the 'General' tab is selected then click the 'Delete Files' button.
4. ensure the 'Delete All Offline Content' option is on, then click OK.
5. if you also want to get rid of your cookies, click the 'Delete Cookies'
button.
6. click settings button, manually write 10 in Amout of Disk Space to Use
7. Click ok button in both windows

You may still have a 'Content.IE5' sub-folder with a pile of files (some of
them may be invisible to Windows Explorer) lurking in those sub-folders.

To get rid of these remaining files:
1. manually delete the 'Content.IE5' sub-folder using Windows Explorer.
C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
Where user is the name of the user you use to login
2. if you can't see this files click 'Tools' then 'Folder Options' menu in Windows Explorer
3. Click on 'View' tab
4. Ensure 'Show Hidden Files and Folders' is ticked in 'Advanced Settings'
5. click ok

When you next launch Internet Explorer, it will rebuild the sub-folders, but this time they'll be empty.

Note While you can safely delete the entire contents of Temporary Internet Files, by doing so you'll delete all your cookies. With your cookies gone, the next time you visit any site requiring password entry or which normally stores information about you, you'll have to re-enter your password.
  • tazmayneo
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • tazmayneo

Post 3+ Months Ago

I disabled Norton to start when Windows start. First try, taskbar froze. Second try, it didn't freeze. And thank you for letting me know about the cache size thing. I went and checked and it was at 620MB. We'll see how it goes. Thank you all so much for your help.
  • tvmdc
  • Born
  • Born
  • tvmdc

Post 3+ Months Ago

has anyone found the cause of the taskbar freeze problem?
I have exactly the same symptoms and have ruled out
viruses,memory defeciency.
I am going to try the Kelly 298 fix.
I would love to hear from anyone that has cured this on xp pro.

e-me at: tvmdc@ispwest.com
  • iron_gr
  • Born
  • Born
  • Loc: Greece

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had this annoying problem after the installation of SP2.
BUT I have tested a clean installation of win xp pro and sp2 and I didn't have that problem. So the problem is NOT sp2 but sth else, don't know what!

I went to google and searched the forums. I found this:
"The problem was actually a Microsoft service - IPv6. I uninstalled it and now everything is fine."

In fact he disabled the service not uninstall it. So did I and it's all fine now.
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you for the post iron_gr and welcome to Ozzu. I'm sure someone will find that information useful. :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 89 posts