Temporary profile

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is the first time that I had this happen to me, so I don't really know what to make of it. I turned my laptop off yesterday and when I turn it on today, I get logged into a temporary profile...
Quote:
You have been logged on with a temporary profile.
You cannot access your files and files created in this profile will be deleted when you log off. To fix this, log off and try logging on later. Please see the event log for details or contact your system administrator.

Event log has the following posts...
Quote:
Windows cannot find the local profile and is logging you on with a temporary profile. Changes you make to this profile will be lost when you log off.

Quote:
Windows has backed up this user profile. Windows will automatically try to use the backup profile the next time this user logs on.

Quote:
Custom dynamic link libraries are being loaded for every application. The system administrator should review the list of libraries to ensure they are related to trusted applications.

Quote:
Windows detected your registry file is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded now. The applications or services that hold your registry file may not function properly afterwards.

DETAIL -
2 user registry handles leaked from \Registry\User\S-1-5-21-2418937113-3019677069-3178099962-1001:
Process 656 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\winlogon.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-2418937113-3019677069-3178099962-1001
Process 868 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\svchost.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-2418937113-3019677069-3178099962-1001
And there's like a million (exaggerated) of the following:
Quote:
: The embedded controller (EC) did not respond within the specified timeout period. This may indicate that there is an error in the EC hardware or firmware or that the BIOS is accessing the EC incorrectly. You should check with your computer manufacturer for an upgraded BIOS. In some situations, this error may cause the computer to function incorrectly.

Quote:
: The embedded controller (EC) returned data when none was requested. The BIOS might be trying to access the EC without synchronizing with the operating system. This data will be ignored. No further action is necessary; however, you should check with your computer manufacturer for an upgraded BIOS.

I've researched it and followed a tutorial but that didn't fix my problem.

Any suggestions? I might have cleaned out my laptop over-zelously yesterday :oops:

(For my future reference as I can't save it on my PC)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You have to log in with an administrator account which unfortunately in your case is probably yours. If your account still has administrative rights create a new admin account and login as it. Then follow method 1 in this link
http://www.techsupportall.com/how-to-fi ... windows-7/

That is directly from a MS KB on this exact problem. It fixes it every time. I've done this on 6 computers in the last three months.
Specifically the KB article is Method 1 in this link
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215

It's about a 5 minute fix, but you have to be logged in on an administrative account other than your own (I think). You might be able to do it on your own account if you can get to and edit that reg key.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've tried that numerous times but that didn't fix my problem. I did the second method... copying all my files from my broken account to my new account. I ended up removing the old account and renaming the current account to the same name as the old account.

What I have done is that I accidentally deleted some files that I shouldn't have :oops:

I now have the following folders in my C:\Users folder:

Admin (My secondary admin profile I made to fix my PC... still there)
Bogdan (My old account name that I deleted)
Bogdan 2 (The current account)
TEMP (I'm guessing this and the following one has to do with the temporary profile)
TEMP.Bogdan-PC (I'm guessing this one has to to with the temporary profile)

Of all those listed only the users Admin and Bogdan 2 exist, so it has to be safe to delete the other folders? They are deleted from the Control Panel and their entries in the registry (under ProfileList) are gone/deleted/removed.

Thanks.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Admin (My secondary admin profile I made to fix my PC... still there)
Bogdan (My old account name that I deleted)
Bogdan 2 (The current account)
TEMP (I'm guessing this and the following one has to do with the temporary profile)
TEMP.Bogdan-PC (I'm guessing this one has to to with the temporary profile)

So of the listed, would it be ok for me to delete the folders Bogdan, TEMP, TEMP.Bogdan-PC?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts