Terminal Server user cannot reconnect to 1st session

• humbletech99
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have terminal servers running Windows Server 2003, and a rare fringe case seems to crop up about once a month for some random user in the company on some random terminal server.

The situation is that all users are allowed only 1 session on any terminal server, this is set by GPO. Occasionally however, a user connects and instead of getting reconnected to their one session, they get a second session. After this, they seem to get a new session every time and cannot reconnect to the first session.

The only thing I've managed to do on this is to reset every single session by such a user, losing unsaved work/long running processes, after which they get back to opening and using a new 1 session as normal which they can then reconnect to.

Windows eventlog hasn't turned up anything relevant.

Any ideas why this happens or how to fix it/prevent it from happening?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here's a quote from wiki on TS.

"The remote session information is stored in specialized directories, called Session Directory which is stored at the server. Session directories are used to store state information about a session, and can be used to resume interrupted sessions. The terminal server also has to manage these directories."

The next search too me to MS on configuring session directories with group policy.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 80126.aspx
  • humbletech99
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

This looks like I'd need to do extra setup in my environment to have this session directory service.

I take it this would allow me to resume a session? But how, do you get another drop down box to choose the session?

Also, if this extra service is unavailable for any reason, then what happens when users try connecting to a terminal server?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is it really an extra service or is it something that is already running with TS? I never had to use TS, so I don't know.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts