Test your computer for instability

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have recently been doing much research on finding ways to figure out if your system is stable or instable. What I have found recently is an excerpt from Tom's Hardware Review which states:

Understanding the cause of instability is one thing. Testing for instability is another, and this is what we need to do. My first test always uses the 3dMark suite of tools (http://www.madonion.com), which are free to download and test most of the components to their limits. I use the standard benchmark in the looping mode on 3dMark 2001, or 3dMark 2000 for low-end graphics cards. I run a 12-hour continuous loop before I declare a system stable. I have never found a PC that completes this stability test to have a problem afterward. I have found many PCs that took considerable time to pass this test due to poor component selection and cooling. The only exception to this rule I have found is MPEG encoding, which is more processor intensive and can raise the processor temperature even higher.

You can download 3DMark here: http://www.futuremark.com/download/

I think I may use it to test my computer and hopefully I can declare it stable! :D
  • Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Dallas/Ft Worth, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Any limitations on the trial version? i think im going to try it out... but i dont want to buy it
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think you just can't customize the test in the trial version. My computer sucked horrible on the 2003 version so I think I am going to try the 2001 version to see how I test there since things are "stepped up" in the 2003 version.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

interesting...i may give this a try as well. Probably before I reinstall XP
just to see.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts