is ther something to monitor my daughters internet activity?

• Absynth
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Absynth
  • Loc: mcallen texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hear me out here. I am not the type of father that would judt voilate my daughter's right to privacy, but i have tried restricting her internet time, blocking sites, watching while she is online, and she is still doing things that NO parent would approve of. My Daughter is 14, just turned 14 actually) and i am concerned that she is up to other negative, possibly illegal activities on my personal computer.

is there any program i can download to monitor what she does while im not around? then maybe i could access it later, to see if she has been truthful.
this may sound terrible, but is there a SAFE program i could install that could figure out her myspace password? i know she is doing inappropriate things on that particular site, and i want to know whats going on on MY OWN computer!!!

i also read the rules and ran a full spyware/adware/virus check, using adaware, spybot, and AVG free edition, so i thought i would post a hijack this logfile as well too see if she has gotten anything infected surfing some crazy sites and downloading things left and right...

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 4:29:14 PM, on 6/18/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgrsx.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMIndexingService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZuneBusEnum.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\SetPoint.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logishrd\KHAL2\KHALMNPR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
C:\Program Files\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Absynth\Desktop\Security\Hijack This\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: AVG Safe Search - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgssie.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search && Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O16 - DPF: {5AE58FCF-6F6A-49B2-B064-02492C66E3F4} (MUCatalogWebControl Class) - http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/ ... 0396057375
O16 - DPF: {F6ACF75C-C32C-447B-9BEF-46B766368D29} (Creative Software AutoUpdate Support Package) - http://www.creative.com/su2/CTL_V02002/ ... /CTPID.cab
O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgpp.dll
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: avgrsstx.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: LBTWlgn - c:\program files\common files\logitech\bluetooth\LBTWlgn.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: NavLogon - C:\WINDOWS\
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\
O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
O23 - Service: Ad-Aware 2007 Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
O23 - Service: AVG8 E-mail Scanner (avg8emc) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG8 WatchDog (avg8wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Lic NetConnect service (CLTNetCnService) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe" /h ccCommon (file missing)
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: Logitech Bluetooth Service (LBTServ) - Logitech, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\Bluetooth\LBTServ.exe
O23 - Service: NBService - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero 7\Nero BackItUp\NBService.exe
O23 - Service: NMIndexingService - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMIndexingService.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

The log looks clean to me. I don't see any viruses.

What type of illegal activities do you think are taking place that you want to crack her myspace password? It would have to be pretty bad before I tell you how to do that.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actual Keylogger *shhhhh you never heard that from me.

btw I used to live in McAllen. Nice place.

Too bad I never really learned Spanish.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Absynth wrote:
and she is still doing things that NO parent would approve of.

If the problem is really as bad as you describe it to be then I wouldn't be letting her use the computer at all. Your place, your computer, your rules. If they can't be followed, then remove the privilege.
  • Gearu
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you're prepared to crack her myspace then you might aswell sell away your humanhood and work for the government. (you seem cop-like)
I encourage spork's concept.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW You spilled the beans. Now he knows about keyloggers. If his daughter posts a Hijack This log, would you tell her how to delete it? I would.

It's somewhat ironic. First he posted a request for keylogger, even though he didn't know what it was called, followed by a Hijack This log, in case one was installed.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I know myself if I had qualms about my daughters internet activity, you can be certain I would monitor it. The reality is computers are part of our life. It's very hard to deny your kid use of them, but you certainly can and should monitor them.

My sister uses a parental control program. Places like myspace, utube and others are blocked. I would really recommend that method versus keyloggers. If they can't get to the places you don't want them to be, you won't have to waste as much time monitoring.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Parental controls are built into Vista. I use them at my house.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you teach your children how to be street wise, providing you know yourself, you won't have to monitor them at all.

I remember someone saying, that his daughter told him, if they changed the keyboard into Spanish and then back again, it would disable the whatever filter was being used. You can block all the sites you want. They will find a work around, sooner or later.

Now, where is the original poster? We haven't heard from him since.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

They will always find a way to do things they want to do. Maybe you haven't spent enough time with your daughter?

And you will always find a way to hack into her myspace account if you want. I know you love your daughter, I would do the same if I were you and if I have a daughter and she's suspicious.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts