time

• Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

For some reason my time will get off set for 5 hours after a couple of days of correcting the time from the bios. Does anyone have any idea why or what I could do to fix this?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• shi_ao56
  • Born
  • Born
  • shi_ao56

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe the battery on your motherboard is low...

Or there's something wrong with your quartz on the motherboard.
  • jupiter
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: is my favourite word after subterfuge

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, sounds like the battery. You could get a program called atom time which regularly syncs on the internet...
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I will get a new cmos battery i guess if that is the problem. I don't know though, those things usually stay alive for a long time, and my computer is always on.

the computer is only about a year old.
  • mas77
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm kinda confused on what you mean by time
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

mas77 wrote:
I'm kinda confused on what you mean by time

I'm not

As others suggested, replacing the battery may take care of it. If not rebooting will. I've had an odd quirk with my old Win98 machine where it loses time continuously and after several days can be at lease as bad as yours but after I reboot it's back to correct current time.

Then there's my network at work. Time is set by the 2003 server to all workstations, but the server runs ten minutes slow. I've reset the clock and all workstations reset accordingly, but as soon as I reboot the server the clock goes back to being 10 minutes slow.

If I find a better anser, I'll post it here. And for those about to ask, no -- I haven't changed the CMOS batery on my server yet because it's less than a year old and I expect at least three years out of a lithium battery.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I tried to change the cmos with one that I knew worked, still same problem.

Rebooting doesn't fix it.

When I change the bios time it will be fixed for like 3-4days then back to square one. And it is always 5 hours. Its weird.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ummm...did you happen to verify that the time zone setting is correct for your location? Microsoft's default is Pacific Time.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

well I "THINK" that I had checked that before....but I went ahead and changed it again. Hopefully this will be the solution cause it is really bugging me. Thanks alot, and hopefully you are right. Btw it was set to greenwich mean time, which i am going to assume is what it always gets set back too.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hopefully that will do it. Just for thoroughness, you're not using a time program like AtomTime that connects to an external clock for time synchronization, are you? If so, perhaps it's configured wrong. I think most of those kinds of programs set it for GMT and then you have to configure it for your time zone difference.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

no, Im not using anything like that. I will know in a couple days if that is the problem or not.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts