Tip: Dell Wireless WLAN Tray Service & memory problems.

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm posting this hoping that anyone having problems with Dell computers (Windows 7) maxing out Virtual Memory, and freezing/lockup problems as well as Blue Screens will find this beneficial.

I recently purchased three Dell Optiplex 380 PC's for work, and customized them to include a wireless card which apparently is a Broadcom card. During prep for our network, I noticed that after an extended time, (anywhere from 6-10 hours), the computer would pop-up an error stating that "The computer was low on Virtual Memory". If I didn't reboot the computer immediately, it would lock up and could only be hard rebooted, or it would blue screen on me and reboot.

The first time it happened I just assumed a defect and was going to get an RMA, but while I was troubleshooting I found the other two computers I was prepping were having the exact problem.

After some long hours of troubleshooting and research I finally noticed that my memory commit charge kept gradually increasing during the day until it maxed my RAM and virtual memory. When I looked into what was the source of the high commit charge I narrowed it down to the Dell Wireless WLAN Tray Service which:
Quote:
Provides automatic configuration for the 802.11 adapter using the Broadcom supplicant.

The associated files are C:\WINDOWS\System32\WLTRYSVC.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\bcmwltry.exe

This is a supplemental service and can safely be disabled without affecting the use of your wireless. Disabling this service solved the problem.

Apparently Broadcom has had issues with memory leaks like this since 2008 or earlier. I'm very surprised they haven't addressed this, but apparently they haven't.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 1 post