2k/xp?

• alexn
  • Born
  • Born
  • alexn

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm thinking about upgrading from Win98. I'm not sure which to - 2k or XP. I'm an average home user who spends most of the time browsing the net, listening to music and playing the occasional game. One of my concerns has to do with my processor of "only" 1.3ghz. I've seen computers with processors of twice that speed being sluggish with XP. Any word of advice will be appreciated.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You might as well get XP, because I don't think you can buy 2000 anymore.
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

300Mhz is the minimum required. 1.3Ghz should be fine. I'm running XP on a 900Mzh system just fine. I'd recommend having at least 384MB of ram though.
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: places..

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh, since your not looking for so many great uses (just small uses, music, small things), get windows XP home. it should meet your suites
  • alexn
  • Born
  • Born
  • alexn

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
You might as well get XP, because I don't think you can buy 2000 anymore.

I have access to a Win2k upgrade.

Quote:
300Mhz is the minimum required. 1.3Ghz should be fine. I'm running XP on a 900Mzh system just fine. I'd recommend having at least 384MB of ram though.

That's reassuring, I have 512mb.

Quote:
oh, since your not looking for so many great uses (just small uses, music, small things), get windows XP home. it should meet your suites

Won't Win2k do the same thing?

I think I will end up using Win2k since it's more user-friendly (as opposed to Microsoft friendly or newbie-friendly).
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I prefer 2K over XP Home. I like XP Pro, but I've switched it all back to a Windows classic look. If you have access to 2K I'd say go for it. It's rather stable.
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

and service pack 6 dont forget ;)
  • Tom the Great
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: B.C., Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Foxy wrote:

There is a service pack 6 for win2k? when did 5 and 6 come out? :shock:

Anyways, I like win2k better, I feel that when Xp tried to make things easier, it made it more confusing to people who have used any windows OS before Xp (mainly talking about winxp's control pannel)
The thing I kinda like about XP is the interface and how you can custimize it more with certain programs, then older versions of windows, but that is something that is cool for about a week. When I do use Xp I switch to the classic interface anyway.

I also haven't had win2k crash yet, only when I was playing doom 3 with less ram that I was supposed to have. (So I got a memory error, and I got blue screen)

It is mostly on personal prefrence, Most programs out there will work on both, and win2k support won't stop anytime soon. And your computer will run fine with Xp, at school we had 900mhz/256mb of ram with winxp and we could play games on them (I think the newset game we played was unreal2k3 or something) and all the normal programs like office, and photoshop worked great as well.
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Tom the Great wrote:
Foxy wrote:

There is a service pack 6 for win2k? when did 5 and 6 come out? :shock:

Anyways, I like win2k better, I feel that when Xp tried to make things easier, it made it more confusing to people who have used any windows OS before Xp (mainly talking about winxp's control pannel)
The thing I kinda like about XP is the interface and how you can custimize it more with certain programs, then older versions of windows, but that is something that is cool for about a week. When I do use Xp I switch to the classic interface anyway.

I also haven't had win2k crash yet, only when I was playing doom 3 with less ram that I was supposed to have. (So I got a memory error, and I got blue screen)

It is mostly on personal prefrence, Most programs out there will work on both, and win2k support won't stop anytime soon. And your computer will run fine with Xp, at school we had 900mhz/256mb of ram with winxp and we could play games on them (I think the newset game we played was unreal2k3 or something) and all the normal programs like office, and photoshop worked great as well.

oh yea its 4.. according to microsoft's website.. my isp listed 6 on their site :shock:
Funny thing, I down graded my pc from 2000 Pro to 98se :wink:

ahh.. regrets..
  • alexn
  • Born
  • Born
  • alexn

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Funny thing, I down graded my pc from 2000 Pro to 98se

Why?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

alexn wrote:
Quote:
Funny thing, I down graded my pc from 2000 Pro to 98se

Why?

*smiles -- I was wondering that myself.
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I lost the cd.. and.. my system became corrupt.. all I had was 98 laying around.. and then, when I went to buy a new cd.. guess what.. only XP :/

That reminds me, I ordered XP from microsoft.. I just hope, the laptop will be able to handle it with only its 128mb... :/ altho.. it should work.. -shrugs-
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

It should work just fine, but preferably double it. Your laptop should have two RAM slots.
  • Heart
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Welcome To, Crazy World!

Post 3+ Months Ago

You should go with ME because of 2 reasons...

A. It's better than 95..
B. You will hate it so much that you will never get on your computer and get a life... :roll:

But, it all depends on what suites you..

I like XP because of it's features and it's nicer GUI.. But, then again 2000 is a lot more stable and a much better Multi-User system..

But, mostly I would say that 2000 is more based for business use.. I use XP..

Or, you can just say FU MS and download Linux.. :roll:
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol..
I use Mac Os so I feel I already have *nix ;D

anyways, ill see.. I have 2 64mbs chips.. so maybe ill take one out and add 128mbs to have 180.. or shuve 2 new 128mbs into it *looks at price of the laptops ram and is shocked*
dam 2002 laptop :/
  • Heart
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Any part you get for a laptop is going to be expensive.. Plus, unless you really know a lot about laptops you wouldn't want to even try to put it in your self. Some places will put it in for free but some wont. I wouldn't even suggesting upgrading a laptop if it's not software but it's better to just buy a new one.. If your laptop is a Mac than yeah, I can expect it to be pretty expensive.. Macs are not cheap.. That's what you get for buying a machine that is made by Apple and Sony..
  • Tom the Great
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: B.C., Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Foxy wrote:
lol..
I use Mac Os so I feel I already have *nix ;D

anyways, ill see.. I have 2 64mbs chips.. so maybe ill take one out and add 128mbs to have 180.. or shuve 2 new 128mbs into it *looks at price of the laptops ram and is shocked*
dam 2002 laptop :/

You should be fine with 128. Just make it look like the classic UI (so it's not all blue and stuff), I believe that frees up some ram, and turn off stuff you don't need.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Heart wrote:
Any part you get for a laptop is going to be expensive.. Plus, unless you really know a lot about laptops you wouldn't want to even try to put it in your self. Some places will put it in for free but some wont. I wouldn't even suggesting upgrading a laptop if it's not software but it's better to just buy a new one.. If your laptop is a Mac than yeah, I can expect it to be pretty expensive.. Macs are not cheap.. That's what you get for buying a machine that is made by Apple and Sony..

What's so hard about adding/replacing RAM in laptops? Unscrew a couple screws to take the cover off, add the new card in the open slot, rescrew the cover on, reboot and it's done.
  • Heart
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

How many laptops have you done this to? It depends on what kind of laptop you have.. Most of the new laptops you cannot even get into.. Some are easy I give it that.. But, not all.. I have takin laptops apart and they are REALLY compacted together.. Then there is the problems with laptops like Dell or Compaq that are REALLY picky on what you put in them.. They only like parts made by them going into them..
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know where the ram is.. its in a slot underneath the keyboard, ive been there before...

its just the availability of the ram.. vs desktop

and will virtual ram help?

its compaq, and, I looked at the manual ^-^
  • murdoc
  • murdoc

Post 3+ Months Ago

i prefer xp pro.. cause... he is only a home user... he does want his life to complicated like us.. so my adavice is to get xp... and get the latest.. windows media player 9.. which is great help for those... people.. who doesnt know much.. ur system is fine... when u browse the web... the thing u need is a fast connection.. and with an average of 256 memory (ram)..

enjoy life...
  • dqualter
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol foxy . i got a 800mhz laptop runnin xp with only 128 ram and its fine!! i run photoshop cs and everything off it no problem!! and i did the same spec on a pc without a problem 2 .
  • dqualter
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

o and use XP cos you get the whole intergrated media player on the taskbar easy to surf and play music. your system is more than capable to run it .
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks now I feel reassured :P :lol:

ill add maybe 64-128mbs onto it
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Heart wrote:
How many laptops have you done this to? It depends on what kind of laptop you have.. Most of the new laptops you cannot even get into.. Some are easy I give it that.. But, not all.. I have takin laptops apart and they are REALLY compacted together.. Then there is the problems with laptops like Dell or Compaq that are REALLY picky on what you put in them.. They only like parts made by them going into them..

*lol -- yep I've done a few. It's a little scary trying to replace hardware in laptops for sure. Never had a problem with RAM though. But I'll tell you, I'd rather do hardware changes to a PC anyday of the week.
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

My friend says, programs use less ram in xp, is it true?

alot seem to be memory wasters *looks at mozilla using 88mbs on 2 tabs*

;o
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Heart wrote:
Any part you get for a laptop is going to be expensive.. .

Laptop memory's dead cheap these days. Depends on the type of laptop though. I can upgrade my old Dell P2-400 to 256Meg PC133 (its maximum) for only 50 bucks. If you can sell your old 128Meg for $20-30 it's a pretty cheap upgrade :)

All my PCs run 2K or Linux except for one PC. Win2K doesn't seem to agree with the USB ports on that one PC, so it's running XP Pro, but I hate it, rarely use that PC.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 27 posts