A tough problem.

• Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Anchorage, AK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, here's the deal. Ive got what I believe to be a TSR that somehow got on my system that pops up whenever i boot up windows (98 SE) in the form of an error message telling me that i dont have enough memory. I have plenty (3/4 gig) and have never had this problem before. I want to know if I can go into system registry or a certain file that will show me what TSR's are being loaded when windows loads. I already know how to look at the loadings that DOS deals with, but i need to see what windows is loading. Norton doenst recognize this as a virus, and Spybot doesnt recognize it as any kind of spyware. My system has all the updates for these programs, so I have no idea what is happening. If anyone can, please help me out.

thx[/i]
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ShEDeViL
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not sure if this will get rid of it or not, but have you tried doing a system restore?
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yea, one of the many things ive tried. I didnt think it would help, and it didnt. Thx for the guess though. Anyone else????
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Start|Run|MSCONFIG

Click the Start tab

Review what executables are checked. Type the executable file names into google to help you identify them. For example, if you type mstask or mstask.exe into Google you should get this as the first result:

http://www.liutilities.com/products/win ... ry/mstask/
liutilities gives you generic info in the result as an enticement to buy their software. Just throwing it out as an example. But following the above method, you should be able to find out what all of your running startup processes are.

For those who may be viewing this post after the fact, M$ nixed MSCONFIG in Windows NT and Win2K and brought it back in XP.

Here's how to get it back for Win2K or NT users:
http://ozzu.com/sutra43407.html#43407

Eliminate any or as much uneccessary executables frm start up as possible (added note -- if they are legit programs such as real player, you are better advised to change the "startup" settings in the prgram itself vs. doing it here)

Uninstall any adware or spyware you've found from Add/Remove programs. You already have Spybot and Norton to detect Virus's or spyware, so you shouldn't find anything (I would think) that's spyware, but you may discover something from the study of what loads on startup.

There is always the possibility that you have a bad RAM card too.

Don't know if any of that will help, but hope something does.
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

try taking a couple of ram chips out. 98 doesn't particularly like large amounts of ram, but I doubt that is the problem.
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, thx for trying to solve my problem, but i already know how to do what you suggested. I need to know if there is a type of file or program that will ACTUALLY show me what is being loaded. MSConfig doesnt do that. I need a complete list in order of EVERYTHING windows does until im windows is completely loaded.
Is there anything that does that?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts