Trouble sharing partitioned area

• MortyKvack
  • Born
  • Born
  • MortyKvack
  • Loc: Madison SD

Post 3+ Months Ago

Greetings:

I've been working on a P to P network that uses W2000 Pro as a central file server. Three others are using W98 and one XP laptop.

A DOS based database program (Advant/Armor) is the main item to be shared by all the other stations. The software company said that it was necessary to make a partition that was not named C or things get messed up/ confused with the local C drives at the work stations. A bat file orients things when the program is initiated from a remote machine.

The 'server' uses a Raid1 drive for C - it is FAT 32, and a partition is set up as drive F.

Right now, all of the computers are able to see each other, and sharing is such that stuff on C can be shared on the server. However (and finally I get to the problem), nobody can see the F drive - and when I attempt to share the drive (or folders on it), I find no way of doing it. I right-click and no sharing options are there. I check the drive properties and only a "general" tap appears. It doesn't seem to be sharable.

By the way, this was all working until they got creamed with a virus and things had to be re-setup.

Someone else actually formatted and partitioned everything. Do you think something was screwed up in the way the drive was partitioned? I appreciate any thoughts you have on this.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I did find this almost hidden thought:

Quote:
If the Sharing tab is not visible, try using the Services snap-in to start your Server service.

It was buried in this link:

http://www.wintrouble.net/discus/messag ... 1004802982

Might or might not have anything to do with your problem.

Here is another possible answer:
http://www.shortcuts.com.au/support/kb/ ... 202000.pdf
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

As an added thought, I just noticed you said DOS based application. Is there a possibility that the F drive partition is Fat16? I''m not certain a Fat 16 partition can be shared.
  • MortyKvack
  • Born
  • Born
  • MortyKvack
  • Loc: Madison SD

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW

Thanks for the suggestions - I will check them out.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts