Trouble with Apache and Windows

• Vidda
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Vidda

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have installed Apache on my PC working with Windows XP, and I noticed a lot of functions related to web servers were only available with Unix. I only installed Apache to edit my website in a quicker way without depending on my remote host. (My server name is localhost. My computer is not ready to be a server so I use a remote hosting service) This computer belongs to several people and I do not want to replace WXP with Unix. So I want to know if there is an easier way to manage your files and folders in a server-oriented way (ie: Changing folder permissions) like you can do with Unix, with a Windows compatible software.

Thanks in advance.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: places..

Post 3+ Months Ago

you cant give folders permission.

you can put .htaccess in different folders to restrict access
  • Vidda
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Vidda

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well yes you can give permissions to folder. I used to do it with AceFTP and Cpanel File Manager when my site was remotely hosted. Unfortunately I think I need pay for Cpanel and I think I need Unix to set up an FTP account on my own computer.

What I need is to set my folders permissions to 777 because some of my PHP programs fail because of a 'Failed to open stream - Permission Denied' error.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts