trouble with windows 98 se logo

• jackfusion
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • jackfusion

Post 3+ Months Ago

I want to change the windows logo screen but my computer dose not have logo.sys but has logos.sys and logow.sys and my computer starts with the windows logo screen. can any tell what other file the logo screen file name might be. Please and thank you.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know there is a way to change the logo in paint, but can't locate the process, but if you want to nix the logo entirely make msdos.sys writeable, (i.e. uncheck read only pull it up in Notepad, then add logo=0 under "options" in msdos.sys and save it as such) that will nix the MS logo on boot.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Found it:

Quote:
Change windows logo (9x)
Win9x logo files must be 400x320 - 256 colors bitmaps. When viewed during startup, Windows stretches them to 640x480, so keep that in mind if you're designing your own logos, else it will throw the aspect ratio off. The default image is in io.sys.
The startup logo file (logo.sys) goes in the root directory. If your drive is compressed, logo.sys needs to be placed on the host drive.

The shutdown logo files go in the windows directory:

- The Please Wait logo is in logow.sys
- The Shutdown logo is in logos.sys

(this quote was edited somewhat. The original sizes just didn't look right. I'm pretty confident these sizes/ratios are correct)

This should give you roughly 14,000 other ideas:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=U ... q=logo.sys

Google search = logo.sys
You could probably search for io.sys and get good results as well.

Although the design and host sucks, here's a page that explains things pretty well:
http://www.angelfire.com/my/plinth/logos/logos.html
  • jackfusion
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • jackfusion

Post 3+ Months Ago

I found io.sys and can't open it mspaint. can you help me
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don't try to open it. Just create a new bitmap image and save it as io.sys given the size parameters listed above. Be sure to rename io.sys to io.sys.bak or io.sys.old in Windows Explorer prior so you can restore it if needed. Be sure to save the new image in the size and 256 colors as noted.

If you really want your own image, ignore my prior thoughts about nixing the Windows logo, or use it, but insteaad of logo=0, it would be logo=1
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
Found it:

Quote:
Change windows logo (9x)
Win9x logo files must be 400x320 - 256 colors bitmaps. When viewed during startup, Windows stretches them to 640x480,

320x400 :D that makes it that much better. I was successful in changing the exiting window but not the startup logo. Have no fear I will keep on tring to change it thou :twisted:
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wouldn't change the IO.SYS file now I have a "Invalid system disk" error message :evil: I have to dig out my boot floppy now
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's a good thing I'm running a desktops with win2k, XP, 98sec and a laptop with 98sec or I might have been in trouble. Did I metion the desktops are all seperate machines connected thru a network and a KVM switch isn't technology wonderfull :D
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

*lol Modern destroyer. I've done it and it works. You don't change the file, you just replace it!. But as I said earlier, make sure to backup up the originals by renaming them so you can replace them. Besides, I always assumed the "invalid system disk" error message was the one you get when you inadvertantly left a floppy in your A:\ drive when rebooting! *lol
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

luckly I did make a backup, and the system I was using doesn't normally have a floppy drive attached :twisted: , but even creating a new file caused the invaild disk error, I booted from a floppy and now correcting the file back to the original :D
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

You must have done something wrong. I guarantee you this can be done. For a long time when I was first learning, I switched that stupid gates logo to my own by the method I described above. I think I got the instructions correct, but if not the google searches should provide enough info to correct errors, but I promise you this does work and can be done.
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think I got the right combo for the startup and shutdown, change the msdos.sys file logo=1 with the logo.sys file in the root directory. That worked but the IO.sys one wouldn't let it boot correctly :D thanks for the help ATNO/TW I no longer have to watch billy gates blue clouds of death and destruction that has invaded the worlds computers :twisted: :shock: I know I'm going to get one of those :roll: :lol:
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yep -- first thing I do after reinstalling Win98se is nix that friggin' logo.

I'm still working on the alternate logo thing. I've reformatted my computer a coule dozen times since I did that and lost all my bookmarks. I'm still looking for the complete instructions.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK -- I think this helps clear it up:

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/ ... 80103.html (please excuse the geo ads - it's not my fault!)

It is logo.sys, not io.sys (my apologies for the probs ModernDestoyer)

The author of the above link describes how to do the task in DOS, but I did it in Windows entirely, and I know it can be done in Windows. Aaaargh! I'll find it.
(I did have my dimensions backwards. - this link has the correct dimensions)
  • jackfusion
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • jackfusion

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Don't try to open it. Just create a new bitmap image and save it as io.sys given the size parameters listed above. Be sure to rename io.sys to io.sys.bak or io.sys.old in Windows Explorer prior so you can restore it if needed. Be sure to save the new image in the size and 256 colors as noted.

If you really want your own image, ignore my prior thoughts about nixing the Windows logo, or use it, but insteaad of logo=0, it would be logo=1

it dose not work I went because it says it i can not access it.
  • jackfusion
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • jackfusion

Post 3+ Months Ago

I found io.sys but did not find logo.sys and have made a new io.sys and the windows start screen dose not change. can anyone help please.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I still haven't remembered how I did that. But I have done it and it works. I've reformatted at leasst twice since then and lost the instructions. If I find them again, I'll let you know.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was asked about this again today in PM by one of our members, and I forgot that I was going to try to find out the correct way to do it. I had did find the link with the instructions at annoyances.org. Here it is:

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article02-011

Cheers
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

basiclly you have a pic in the resolution that the aritcle ATNO posted said, save the file as logo.sys and put it in the root of C: , also if you don't see it edit the MSDOS.SYS file and add the line "logo=1" that way it will look for a logo file, enjoy :D

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 19 posts