Trying to FTP to Windows 2000 Server

• jeannepo
  • Student
  • Student
  • jeannepo
  • Loc: Denver

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello Ozzu Forum,

I have a login and password to a website, which is hosted on a Windows 2000 Server.

I'm trying to connect to this site, to FTP. When I connect, it's like there has been a redirect, and I'm directed to a different website, belonging to my client, but also hosted by this same server. I cannot connect to the directories I need for the specific directory.

I can "see" this website, from my computer when I go to "my network Places", I can set up the website from there... it's just that I cannot FTP to this site.

My question to Ozzu is: is it possible to "block" or redirect an incoming ftp to a specific directory? It seems like this has been done, but I'm not sure if's even possible :?:

I did a few experiments, and I'm able, in an Explorer window, to open, via "My network places", and open another Explorer window and just do the ol' copy 'n paste, to this site... just seems like I can't FTP to it.

I'm beginning to think the Keep of this Server is a jerk and/or a control freak, but want to get some opinions, before I start playing those cards !! :twisted:

Help, Ozzu !

~jp
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

My server is set up in what appears the same fashion you describe. In my case, I have ftp disabled as a security precaution to close one more potential hole from the outside world. At this time, there is literally no need for anyone external to our network to have ftp access. I do it the same way you do -- copy and paste -- and I run the server! Truthfully, I find it faster and easier.

I'm also not 100% certain you can even ftp within your internal network. The easiest thing to do would be talk to your admin and see if it is possible with his setup and if it is have him explain what you need to do to make it work. It'll save you time and headache.
  • jeannepo
  • Student
  • Student
  • jeannepo
  • Loc: Denver

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can understand the need to "protect" and disable the ftp... but I'm curious as to why the Admin of this server I'm dealing with, gave me the login and pw, and then have the ftp disabled ? And... it's the same server for two other websites, that I ftp to frequently. So, can you disable the ftp to just selected directories on the server? And, when I try to ftp, I get redirected to the "other" two websites directories, not the intended one.

That's why I'm suspecting I'm not getting the whole picture, here.

Also, it's not an internal server I'm dealing with.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I see -- well, normally, ftp will land you in the root directory of the domain. However, it can be set to redirect to a different directory. For example on my personal domain, I have one user that I have given access and permissions to a specific subdirectory off of the root. That is the only directory he has access to. He uses the same ftp URL that I do for access, but his login takes him to his directory only and he has no access to the root. I suspect your admin has things set up wrong. Again, I'd say you still need to describe this problem to him. It does sound like a setup error of some kind.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts