Trying to Remove Vista

• nab82ba
  • nab82ba

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey everyone!

I am currently trying to downgrade from vista to Xp on a hp laptop but i have run into a major problem, when i try install xp it dosent recogognise my hard drive. When i get to the setup menu for xp it says "there are no hard drives installed" i have tried dual booting on a seperate partition and even formating my hard drive by i still get the same error message. any ideas?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

You have to completely format the drive first to an NTFS partition using something other than the XP CD to do it.

MS doesn't like downgrades although there was some talk about allowing users to return to XP.
  • vbtricks
  • vbtricks
  • Loc: Germany

Post 3+ Months Ago

Salut,

there are official Downgrading options offered by Microsoft so that should not be a problem.

More likely the problem is that your hard disk is connected via SATA (no doubt, if your notebook was delivered with Vista). When Windows XP was created, the old IDE was the standard interface, so the installer does not recognize SATA drives.

There are several tutorials on the net explaining how to fix this, e.g. http://forums.hexus.net/operating-syste ... -disk.html. If that particular one does not fit, search using your favorite search engine for the keywords "xp install sata without floppy".

Stefan
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just removed Vista from a brand new Lenovo laptop and intalled FreeBSD. It had no problem seeing the drive.
  • vbtricks
  • vbtricks
  • Loc: Germany

Post 3+ Months Ago

Salut,

well, guess the FreeBSD release is a bit newer than the original Windows XP from 2001 when SATA wasn't still developed, isn't it?

After building a new XP CD the installation should run fine.

Stefan
  • pj1968
  • Born
  • Born
  • pj1968

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
I just removed Vista from a brand new Lenovo laptop and intalled FreeBSD. It had no problem seeing the drive.

So where do I go to have the option of removing Vista?
I have a New XP installation disk can I use that to install after removing the VistaOS?
Thanks
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

There are a number of free boot disks and programs that will format the drive to NTFS and get rid of Vista.

Yes, after that there shouldn't be a problem installing XP. At the same time, vbtricks seemed to have some good information regarding downgrades and problems with XP and SATA drives. I would also look at that just in case.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts