Turn it on . . Nothing!!!!

• croths
  • croths
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm posting on behalf of my son who,it seems, is in big doo doo. He has an HP Pavilion 4530, running Windows 98. It has 4 gigs & was getting very full, he'd begun to try & clean up, downloading a registry cleaner & sorting through the vast amounts of digital photo's. This he'd last worked on about mid-week & the computer had been starting up and running OK, but late yesterday he re-booted & nothing happened. He gets the Hewlett Packard sign come up, then nothing else, no windows start screen, no faint whirring noise of activity.
Now, he HAD mentioned to me that he was hearing 'noise' from his drive in recent months while it was running, not being there I can't describe the noise. He'd opened it up to check and clean the fans, this is one of those compact towers, hard to get to anything!! I'm no expert but the thought that the hard drive may have failed lingers, and he has lots to lose, photo's, the book he's working on, etc. Does anyone have any hints or clues please? If more info is needed I can phone him, he's bordering on panic right now so I don't know how coherent he'll be:o) Thanks very much.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• DuckIT
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: London, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I'm posting on behalf of my son who,it seems, is in big doo doo

Lol love it! :lol:

You could ask him to get into the BIOS and see if that sees it (typically one of these keys at the HP splash screen: F1, F2 or Del). He could also open it up and check the connections of the drive. It *could* be that one of the cables has come loose (fairly unlikely to be honest)

Ideally if he has another computer he can use (such as yours) he could add the possibly failed drive in and use your PC to check it. If it runs up he can then copy essential data to your machine for now.

If it does not run up at all and if this data is that important I would get the disk to a disk recovery expert such as <a href="counter/exit.cgi?http://www.ontrack.com/" target="_blank" class="postlink">OnTrack </a>. You send them the drive, they test how bad it is and give you a quote to get the data back (lots of money).

Good luck!

S
  • croths
  • croths

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks DuckIT, I'm going to phone him shortly with this advice. He and I are six hours apart otherwise I'd LOVE for him to bugger about with my brand new computer ;O)
  • croths
  • croths

Post 3+ Months Ago

:oops:
Well, late last night he decides to open it up again, got no compressed air so he uses the hair dryer, after a while a big lump of dust shoots out. He leaves it open for the night and this morning he starts it up again . . same thing, nothing happens. He leant over and pushed the cd tray button, just for the hell of it. The minute it opens the computer beeps twice and begins to load. The twerp had left a burned cd in it.
I thank you for your help, sorry to waste your time.
Maureen
PS
I come from Gravesend in Kent, not far from the edges of London:O)
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can't tell you how many times I've done this to myself, so don't think
you're wasting our time! Do you think you'd check that if it happens
again? I bet you do, and there's probably several other people that
come through here that will read this and never have thought of it.

You didn't waste anyone's time -- you learned something, and that's
what it's all about at OZZU. :mrgreen:
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol I've done that plenty of times - I now set my BIOS to only boot from harddrive, and manually select if I have to boot from a floppy or cd (which is very rarely BTH). Oh well ,at least it's sorted and nothing was broken :D
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Anchorage, AK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I dont understand. How can leaving a burned CD in the drive cause it to lock up like that? Ive done it plenty of times and its never doen anything like whats been described. Maybe Im missing somthing obvious............
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Smokenjoe wrote:
I dont understand. How can leaving a burned CD in the drive cause it to lock up like that? Ive done it plenty of times and its never doen anything like whats been described. Maybe Im missing somthing obvious............

Actually I've never seen that yet either, but have had the non-system disk boot error so many times with floppies, I don't doubt the experience of these guys at alll *lol
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've had similar problems with a HP - HP systems are kinda flakey.

Turned out it was a fauly PSU. Those lil HP's only have like a 140Watt PSU or somethin' stupid.

The previous owner had been running it about 18 months or so, and when they upgraded the video card it was drawing too much of a drain, and it was physically damaging the hard drive (because the power would just cut out in the middle of the drive spinning, heads doing their thing, etc.)

Eventually the PSU died all together. I went out & bought a 350Watt PSU, hooked it all together, powered up and no problem (aside from the physical damage to the drive itself). I copied off what I could to a new 17.4Gig HD, and burned it all out to CD from there. Ditched the original 6.4Gig drive that was in the system, and it's been happily running here as a Linux server for the past 2 years.
  • croths
  • croths

Post 3+ Months Ago

Please excuse a probably dumb question, I'm not very techy but trying to learn, but what is a PSU?
I tremble to read of 'flakey' HP's, after 5 1/2 years of sheer hell with an IBM Aptiva I got a new HP for Christmas. I was hoping for a little time of carefree browsing. So far so good, while the IBM was a pig from the moment it came out of the box.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, don't worry, it's probably not going to die tomorrow :D

PSU == Power Supply Unit. The bit your power cable plugs into on the back of the PC :)

The HP I was having all the problems with is a HP 4535. It was given to me because of all the problems the previous owner was having with it. I also have a Compaq (who are now owned by HP btw) that was given to me for similar reasons. My girlfriend uses a HP machine, and she hates it, she's been having problems with it on a near daily basis for 3 years, and both of the CD-Rom drives that came with it are on their last legs. I know people who've experienced very similar problems with Gateway - a friend of mine bought a P133 from Gateway when it was the hottest thing on the market. He ended up getting the hard drive replaced twice, the CD-Rom several times, and the monitor once.

The only pre-built PCs I've found that are actually pretty good are Dell and Sony VAIO. Other than that, I'd always recommend building up your own - or having a local independent store build it for you.

Your HP may be ok for a while, if you have system restore disks to set your PC back to the way it was when it left the factory, keep them very safe - because you'll probably be using them in a few months (not really through any fault of HP, but PCs can generally accumulate a lot of crap in a relatively short space of time if you're not too sure what you're doing).

Just when you're using it, listen carefully for any clicking noises coming from the hard drive, or if your CD-Rom drive becomes abnormally loud for no reason, have that tech support number handy :)
  • croths
  • croths

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Your HP may be ok for a while, if you have system restore disks to set your PC back to the way it was when it left the factory, keep them very safe - because you'll probably be using them in a few months

Done that already!! But even that, at the four month stage, was a lot longer down the line than my IBM, at four months I'd restored it several times.
Thanks for your help, I'm trying to understand computers a bit more than the on off button.
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Anchorage, AK

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol, well, your in the right place! :)

//Thanks ATNO. Im glad that Im not the only one who has never seen that.
  • DuckIT
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Glad you/he got it sorted :)

Quote:

Maybe it was literally burned, like he had a couple of blank CD's in the toaster (I hear they're good with a bit of cheese and a dash of chilli sauce) then decided to stick one in his PC and forgot about it?

Stranger things have happened

:lol:

S
  • croths
  • croths

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sadly it's NOT sorted :(
Yesterday the same thing happened when he had to re-boot, and not a cd or floppy in sight. I was on the phone with him reading off the responses and while he was pressing different keys, f1, f2, etc., it suddenly beeped and began to load. We spent the day transferring his most important data by email and Yahoo Messenger. He's scared to turn it off again.
  • DuckIT
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a PC that does a similar thing. Its been doing it for months. Every time I shut it off it takes me about 5 goes to turn it on. I have to kick it sometimes :lol: (one of those old problems I can't be assed to fix - spare PC anyway)

I digress...Least he has the data now. Does it still show the HP splash? Any errors? Does kind of sound like a bad hard drive if its getting past the POST (Power On Self Test). Guess it could be RAM or video card if not that.

If he's not a tech-head get him to take it to a decent PC shop. Otherwise he can start pulling bits out and putting them back in. Things like this can often be caused by bad connections.

S
  • croths
  • croths

Post 3+ Months Ago

This may be a very daft question, please remember I'm not techy at all, just pulling ideas out of the air.
Could it be a dying battery?
I asked him if he'd changed it as I had noticed in the last couple of days his emails are slightly out of whack. If we were emailing and replying fast, his emails would fall into the folder behind the one he was answering, if you get what I mean. It was as if his clock was suddenly a few minutes out. It was just a thought.
As for the rest, he checked all that was suggested and found nothing.
It did stay at the HP screen as before, yes.
He's going to have to take it in somewhere.
Thanks for all the help, this is a great forum.
  • DuckIT
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Depends on the motherboard i'd say, but yeah that could do it. Not sure if you can even replace them these days? I've never had the same motherboard in long enough to have ever had to replace one!

Quote:
Thanks for all the help, this is a great forum.

Yeah it's good isn't it? I've not been here very long (and I rarely get much time to post), but nice to have a forum with no name calling / flaming / 'you n0000b' posts etc. Very refreshing :lol:

S
  • cradle
  • cradle
  • Loc: Kenya

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for your posts.

the problem could be a simple hardware issue.

when he opended the cpu casing most likelihood is that he didn't fix the IDE cables for hardisk correctly or they are lose. or the Floopy drive isn't fixed correctly and that's why he has to press F1. let him check to see if he's fixed all the IDE cables for all the drive correctly.
secondly the proble could be with BIOS. tell him to check his BIOs if its configured to see the the hard disk it could be that its not able to detect the harddisk.

Lastly it could be that the problem is with POST [power on self test] and this is associated with the BIOS or may be the "noise" he kept hearing would have been that something stuck on the motherboard so it somehow "short" it.

Lastly tell him to remove each hardware component from the pc and let him boot it up by that he'll know which hardare has a problem. it could be even the motherboard
  • NickC75
  • Born
  • Born
  • NickC75

Post 3+ Months Ago

The noise your son heard before was the sound of your sons hard drive starting to fail. You better ghost that drive to another drive, and you will be ok.
  • croths
  • croths

Post 3+ Months Ago

I thought I should post the results of this as it might come in handy for someone else who searches with the same symptoms.
Coincidentally on the very same day as the last post - June 9th - it happened again.
On a trip down to visit, we decided to try to solve it. I had mentioned a drive fitness test you can download and run, this we did and his drive seemed ok. So we opened it up and had a look inside. (Now, when I say "WE" I mean my husband and I, two very UNTECHY people, only doing what we have done in the past for my old computer.)
Jamie's computer is one of those compact towers, everything was terribly crammed in. We put in a new battery and cleaned the dust out, after taking it half apart to get to the cpu fan. There was a lot of dust, but when we started it up, still open, the noise was worse but definitely coming from the fan. We could see it struggling to turn, going slow then faster. We bought a new fan and now it works fine, and quietly.
Thanks again to all for the help.
  • beings
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

time to get a new computer i guess.... you can buy barebone computers for supper cheap now.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 22 posts