Unable to connect to internet although connected to LAN

• stefan
  • stefan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi All,

We have a windows nt 4 server network with dhcp. One Laptop (Win 98 SE, Dynalink L100c16) has the problem that it can connect to the LAN (no problem there) but can't connect to the internet. I'm able to ping the www but get the famous can't find...error in IE 6 (with SP1). DHCP enabled, no proxy, etc. Settings are identical with other PC's (that do not have this problem). Mozilla Firefox 0.8 doesn't do any better. I'm positive it's no hardware problem. Anyone familiar with this problem? Help is highly appreciated.

Stefan
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Get the IP numbers of the primary and secondary DNS servers for your ISP. Enter them manually into the 98 machines network properties. That should take care of it.
  • stefan
  • stefan

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
Get the IP numbers of the primary and secondary DNS servers for your ISP. Enter them manually into the 98 machines network properties. That should take care of it.

I already did that, no succes. Must be something else. Ahh this problem is driving me crazy.

Stefan

p.s. thanks though
  • BlueHat
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Cyprus

Post 3+ Months Ago

What heppens if u ipconfig your machine..
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Odd. You can ping but can't resolve? It has to be a DNS issue of some sort. Only other thing I can think of is try disabling WINS resolution. Ionly have a couple 98 machines left at work, but all of mine are set with static IP's and manually entered Gateway and DNS. On all of them WINS is disabled. Not sure what else to suggest.
  • stone
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • stone

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have seen this with removing KAZAA and other associated adware. Sometime can be fixed by uninstalling any IE references in the control panel then reinstalling from windows update.

Ken
  • stefan
  • stefan

Post 3+ Months Ago

I disabled WINS, same problem. WINS by DHCP, same problem. Manually configured WINS, same problem. Enabling or disabling DNS same problem. Static IP address, same problem. I think I tried all possible combinations but no succes.

It's truly the weirdest thing I've ever experienced with Windows.

Thanks for the help guys.

Stefan
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

You know what. Stone just reminded me of this critical update bulletin:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

I'm also thinking to myself that it sounds like we've all been thinking TCP/IP properties, but did you look in IE Options and see if anything was changed in the connections options? Like Automatically detect settings etc.? If something was changed in there it would give you similar headaches.-
  • stefan
  • stefan

Post 3+ Months Ago

I installed the fix, together with another one (q828750). No succes. I checked connections all the time. No change. Even went through the connection wizard a couple times, something that worked before.
Checked other prototcols as well but are configured correctly too. Tried another lan adapter, same thing. It's really a software problem.

Do you think a full reinstall would fix the problem (already installed over old version but no succes)?

Thanks,

Stefan
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's a bit extreme. Have you tried a different browser? If you don't already have it install FireFox

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

You can download it on a working computer and map a drive to it on the 98 machine and install it over the network.

I'd be willing to bet that it works the first time. If so, you've narrowed it down to something with IE. If that's the case, it would have to be something in IE's settings. If you still can't get IE to work, tell the user to use Firefox from now on. *lol It's probably a better choice anyway.
  • stefan
  • stefan

Post 3+ Months Ago

That was the first thing I did :-), but no, Firefox 0.8 isn't able to connect either. It's not IE. But good suggestion though.

Gr. Stefan
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sounds like it's time to pull the shotgun out of the closet, if you ask me! *lol

I'm out of ideas short of the reinstall you're considering. I suppose in retrospect you could have had that done already in the time we've taken to try "normal" troubleshooting.

Good luck.

//well maybe one last idea -- I assume you've changed the cable?
  • ShEDeViL
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can't you just "repair" windows components?
  • dennisolly2
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • dennisolly2

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Stefan,

Did you solve your problem?

Seems I have the same trouble: can ping the world, but IExplorer (or any other program for that matter) refuses to use the working internet connection.

If you did find a solution: would you post it here or at my topic:

Posted: Mon May 31, 2004 1:01 pm
Post subject: Ping:connection fine.IExplorer refuses to use the connection

thx! this is driving me bezerk.

Dennis
  • dllg
  • Born
  • Born
  • dllg
  • Loc: Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

I found a solution to this problem:

http://www.bu.edu/pcsc/internetaccess/winsock2fix.html

(WinSock2 fix program)

/Daniel
  • Tom the Great
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: B.C., Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

What hardware routers are you using? are you using real cisco ones and have the computer on the right network that will allow outgoing port 80 packets?

or are you using a soho linksys (or whatever other company) router?

if you had the time/effort you could set up a simple webserver inside the lan then check to see if the computer could connect to it and display the webpage, if not, then it is probably a problem with the comptuer, but if it can look at the webpage inside the lan from a server, then it might be something going wrong with the hardware network blocking port 80 outgoing.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts