Unable to find Firewall settings on Windows 2000 PC

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Every now and then i use a computer that i am not often near and establish an issue that needs fixed. Quite often i will find out the cause thanks to a simple Google search.

Today i found that the machine i am on right now won't load quite a number of websites. After browsing the web i have established that the issue is most likely a result of a firewall being on the computer. Now, my only problem here seems to be where i actually go about finding the silly firewall settings.

Typically when you go to Start>Settings>control panel there should be a "Security Center" option, or even anything relating to something that would lead to the Firewall settings. This machine will not show me anything that i need in order to resolve the issues.

I am actually starting to wonder whether or not this is maybe something a bit more malicious and maybe there is a reason why i cannot find the firewall settings.

If it helps, this machine is running Windows 2000 Professional SP4. It will not load up some websites on both IE and Firefox and having installed Opera to see if it works there it seems that no website works on Opera. Google Chrome is not compatible with this OS. I've not tried any other browsers.

Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Windows 2000 doesn't have a built-in firewall.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I used to use the free version of Zone Alarm on my win2k machines.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Interesting. I was reading (on the limited sites i was able to view) that you got Firewall settings from Service Pack 2 onwards. That machine had Service Pack 4.

Any idea what may be causing the computer from not being able to view all sites. It is really odd and the only explanation i can find is the firewall however in the good amount of time i spent searching i just couldn't find anywhere that indicated what firewalls the machine had.

I probably wont be near the machine again until this Sunday, so it's not incredibly important that it is fixed, however i'd love to receive any tips on how i can resolve the issue if possible.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts