unable to install

• whatlikesit12345
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would like to install dead aim 4.1 (ya i went and purchased it) But when i try i get his error
http://whatmistxfle.250free.com/pictures/Picture13.png
I am not the system adminstrator but i can login as the system adminstrator but i still get that error. what can i do to fix that. is there a way to set windows back to its normal self with out deleteing all the programs?

http://whatmistxfle.250free.com/pictures/Picture13.png
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• IH8Purple
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Somewhere on Google Earth

Post 3+ Months Ago

umm well if you are not the system admin, check with him/her to make sure nothing is wrong. there could also be a program/virus blocking the installation, I would check for them. other then that there could be a corrupt installation file.
  • whatlikesit12345
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

i can login in as the system admin. but it still comes up.
  • IH8Purple
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Somewhere on Google Earth

Post 3+ Months Ago

well while you are logined in as the system admin, make sure there is nothing stoping you from installing programs

sorry I couldn't be more helpful
  • whatlikesit12345
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for helping me though. I could try that.
  • whatlikesit12345
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

please help. i need to install a file for powerpoint but i cannot. and i need to do it by tomorrow. the project is due wednesday

what would happen if i were to reinstall XP Pro. would it reset all the stuff back to normal. or is there a way to fix the regestry.
  • stinger
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • stinger
  • Loc: San Jose, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can install multiple operating systems such as win xp, win 2000 on the same machine.

If it is not your computer, then I would not do anything and get the system admin!!!

Otherwise, you could try going to your local college and using their computer library.

If you do a re-install, I would back everything up first. Then do the install.

Good luck!
  • whatlikesit12345
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

i cannot even install microsoft stuff. i even tried under the admin w/ out luck.
  • stinger
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • stinger

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I hope that you are not using a 'cracked' or pirated version of windows xp pro. If you are, you will encounter many problems.

Otherwise, you may have administrator privliages, but the administrator has set up the system so that only he/she may install software. You MUST contact your admin.

Or, do a clean install. You can always contact Microsoft!

Have you recently upgraded anything? or installed some patches?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Agreed with some of the earlier thoughts. You may very well have "admin" priveleges for your workstation, but if you are on a windows network, the network admin could easily prevent anyone on the network from installing anything, as well as a variety of other things. I could make it so you couldn't even change your desktop background. The advice to contact the system admin is probably the most realistic. If you are the system administrator, then double check your user account and make sure you are not a member of the "users" group. Any group policy objects set to apply to "users" may affect what you can or can't do as an administrator on a workstation.
  • whatlikesit12345
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

lets see.

its a home computer
i do have admin futures to do stuff.
i can chage the background.
I am the system admin. but under another account.
  • stinger
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • stinger

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
under another account

OK that just about clears that up. You MUST, and I mean MUST, login as the ADMIN to be able to install anything when you have restricted access assigned to other user groups.

"IT DOES ABSOLUTE NO GOOD TO TRY TO DO ACTIONS ONLY AVAILABLE TO ADMIN IF YOUR LOGGED IN THE COMPUTER AS A GUEST"

that is like taking your scooter to the Dayton 500 and telling everyone you have a NASCAR in your garage. baaaah

ok,
just try to login as the admin and then do the fancy foot work.
Otherwise re-install windows and please consult 'proper' installation instructions supplied by microsoft.

Thanks.
  • whatlikesit12345
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

but my account is an admin. account. so i don't think that could be the reason why.

what would happen if i were to just reinstall XP.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

When you first install XP an administrator account is created automatically. If you are having these kind of problems and it's not on a windows server, log in as administrator with the password you chose on install and that should allow you to fix all evils. Otherwise start from scratch and the next time write down what you do so you can access it again.
  • stinger
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • stinger

Post 3+ Months Ago

again, if you are not the ONLY ADMIN then it doesn't matter
you can set admin priveledges, but not allow them to instlal software. If you are not the only admin, then you MUST contact the admin.

IF YOU HAVE INSTALLED EVERYTHING YOURSELF, THEN JUST DO IT AGAIN!

and this time only setup 1 acount.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

stinger -- agreed with you in whole...but if he assigns "admin" to any other user groups besides admin the restictions may or may not apply to him. Here is the way to work users. When you create a new user they, by default, will be a member of "users" group. If you make them a member of the admin group...all well and fine, but afterward, you need to remove them from the user group...otherwise, any restrictions you apply to the "users" group may also apply to the admin. See where I'm going, get where I've been?
  • whatlikesit12345
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

i fixed it. i will post how i did it when i get home. and when i can get on the internet. i got the comp in my room but there is no internet in it

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts