Unmountable Boot Volume-With something more.

• Enydimon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey, I have a problem with my computer.

I've been through the Unmountable Boot Volume before and know exactly what to do to repair but I'm having a problem.

My windows XP cd will not load for the repairing. I've used other people's cds and the DVD drive doesn't seem to read it at all, which has never happened before.

I remember I had some trouble with the CDs the last time, but it wasn't this bad.

Is there something I need to do so the DVD drive will read it or is it the drive itself?

Any help would be nice. I just need to know how I can get my CD running again.

Right now I'm on my fathers computer and I need my own for my artwork, burning a CD, working with video editing, games(well, not NEED)... well you get the point. Taking a break from the computer is fine, but if I need it I want it to be working.

Thanks in advance,

Eny
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• tomrulez
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: England!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

It sounds to me like it is your drive if it wont read anyone else's cd's. Do you have another drive you could swap it with to check?
  • Enydimon

Post 3+ Months Ago

I could try using my fathers drive. I'll see if that works.
  • Enydimon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, I think thats how I did it last time as well. Starting to come back to me....

But anyway, its still not working. I can hear the disc working, but blue screen comes up... although it does stay at the loading screen longer. Perhaps it will start working eventually?

Any ideas?
  • tomrulez
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: England!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmmmm what does the blue screen say?
  • Enydimon

Post 3+ Months Ago

It says the usual for this type of situation(I think):

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select safe mode.

Technical Information:
*** STOP: 0x000000ED (0xC00000032, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)"

Now the last time I had this, I had to use the Windows XP CD to repair it like so:

"Load XP CD
+
R
+
chkdsk /p
+
fixboot
+
y
+
exit"

But I also had a similar problem to the one I have now. Only certain CD's would work with it, and I think I remember using someone elses CD drive so I could load windows.
Now, I can't remember if the CDs were touchie in this situation or not; having to load them several times until it worked.(I'm thinking of making a tech log so I can read up on my past solutions and problems.)

But now it seems it wont load it. No installation screen.

I'm not sure what else I can do.
  • hulbs9nw
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • hulbs9nw

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are you sure it is actually booting from the CD? Change it in the bios, should be pretty obvious how to do it
  • Enydimon

Post 3+ Months Ago

No, its not from booting the CD. I need to USE the CD to fix the problem.
  • hulbs9nw
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • hulbs9nw

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, and the only way you can do that is to boot from it!
  • Enydimon

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've checked the BIOS and its enabled for the drive already.
  • hulbs9nw
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • hulbs9nw

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think you are getting confused. When the PC first turns on it needs to boot up from the Windows XP CD. Then you can press "R" and type chkdsk /p like you did before.
  • Enydimon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well thats the problem, the installation does not show up. I put the CD in, I can hear it working but nothing happens.
  • Alkatr0z
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Alkatr0z
  • Loc: Adelaide, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think what hulbs9nw is meaning is..
In the BIOS there will be a setting "Boot Order"
or something similar.
It will have listed something along the lines of 1st Boot Device
2nd Boot Device
3rd Boot Device
Use whatever key it instructs you to use to change them to ensure that the CDROM comes before HDD0 in the boot order. For example in mine I can just press Enter on whichever one I want and select the one I want. But in another computers BIOS I used in the past I had to use Numpad + & Numpad - to change each one.

As far as I can see though if HDD0 is not bootable even if the CDROM is after it should just move onto the CDROM. But its worth checking and trying.
  • Enydimon

Post 3+ Months Ago

I see! But I fixed the problem. I can't believe I forgot about that, but mistakes happen. Sorry I didn't know what you all meant.

Phoned my brother and he reminded me I should do that and now I'm back on my computer :) Perfect timing too, I really needed my computer for some work.
  • Alkatr0z
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Alkatr0z
  • Loc: Adelaide, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

hehe glad its resolved. I find often its the simplest thing that trips us all up. Perfect example:
I usually don't mute my sound in windows as the speakers have a volume dial on them. A few weeks ago my sound was not working, after checking the plugs Media Player, Winamp etc I finally checked the volume control.. Sound was muted :) A simple answer which didn't occur to me for several days..
  • okeydocke
  • Born
  • Born
  • okeydocke

Post 3+ Months Ago

HELP!!! i go this message "Unmountable_Boot_Volume"
tried to follow insturctions but nothing will work, i tried putting in to cd rom the microsoft operating system cd. but it does not move from the blue error screen, i tried putting in the cd into my other diff. computer, and it works. so its not the cd. what else can I do?
  • pccare_himanshu
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • pccare_himanshu

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try these steps

1. Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.

2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console.

4. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

5. At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r , and then press ENTER.

6. At the command prompt, type exit , and then press ENTER to restart your computer.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts