Unremoveable File

• risingsun
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've got a video on my computer that wont let me delete it. Any time I try to, it says "cannot remove file: it is being used by another program". However, I don't think im running anything. Please help!
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you tried safe mode or safe mode with command prompt?
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: places..

Post 3+ Months Ago

whats the file name?

Perhaps its important...
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Ocean City , Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Copylock.exe is a little program that lets you delete any file.
Just make shure you invesatgated first ,so that you no you
won't have any problems later..

http://windows.online.pl/pliki/copylock.zip
  • Alkatr0z
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Alkatr0z
  • Loc: Adelaide, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm going to bet a few things. One that this is an avi file and two you can't rename it either. There is a workaround to the problem and there is a permanent fix(Apparently XP SP1 was supposed to fix it but I can't say it worked for me). Oh and you'll also be using XP I'll bet :)
The workaround is a program like Copylock which is a program that I personally am not familiar with. The problem is that Explorer.exe is the process that has the file open. So as its an internal process I'm not sure how Copylock would work, whether it would shutdown the process or what. Not sure if Safe mode works either, Though I notice the person hasn't responded yay or nay yet.
Anyway heres the workaround method:
Start -> Run -> command
Use the commands "cd <directory>" and "cd.." to browse to the directory that the video is in. Also to change the current drive use <DriveLetter>: so eg. To get to my E drive and browse into the directory Temp I would use the following commands. "E:" then "cd Temp".
Now Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up the task manager, and find explorer.exe in the processes tab. End the process. Then in the Command prompt type "del <filename>". After its deleted go back to the task manager and do File -> Run -> explorer.exe. Note that this will reload the shell but not all your taskbar icons will reload. They will be there though after you restart or even log out. Also remember that any filenames or directories that have spaces in them have to be enclosed in quotes(").
The permanent fix is, If you are familiar with regedit then you can do it yourself by browsing to the key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}
And deleting the Inprocserver32 value. Before doing this make a backup though of it, once your at the relevant key just go File -> Export and type a name and choose a place to save it to.
For those not knowing the registry well or not wanting to mess with it, there is a fix floating around which does this anyway. A quick Google of "avi delete fix" should find it. By the way can someone make a sticky post mentioning about these solutions, Copylock and all the others as its been on this forum a couple of times about avi files that won't go away.

Alkatr0z

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts