Upgrade or new installation of Windows 2003

• ljCharlie
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ljCharlie

Post 3+ Months Ago

I currently have Windos 2000 Server for running as a domain server and DHCP server. Now I wanto move into Windows 2003 server. What's my best way, upgrade or new installation and why?

ljCharlie
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

If it was me I would go with the full version. Windows server 2003 has allot of new features. You will probably have to do an upgrade on the hardware side of your server for it to run correctly. But these are just my opinions. Me and my boss did an upgrade to an office and they had bought all new dell workstations and a win03 server. Needless to say the installation went smooth but the server was already configured and built to support win03. The reason I said you might have to do a hardware upgrade is depending on how old your current server is and it's particular memory and CPU. But what every you do just make a full backup of your current server. Then again you might be able to get away with just an upgrade to win03. Enjoy :D
  • ljCharlie
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ljCharlie

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the response. I'll keep that in mind.

ljCharlie
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would never ever ever ever recommend upgrading a server product.
Nor a workstation for that matter. There's just way too many X-factors
with software and general problems it's just not even worth the hassle
or headache. I would simply take notes on your configurations and
install it fresh.
  • ljCharlie
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ljCharlie

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the input, UNFLUX.

ljCharlie
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have to agree that a clean install of a server product would be best. Much of that depends on how large your network is and how difficult would it be to recreate the user accounts. Then of course you have to consider how you are going to restore the existing data (such as email for example) for your users.

The simplest solution would be to install 2003 on a new server box, hook it up as a backup server, replicate Active Directory, then make the new box primary after you have all data transfered over to it. Then use the existing Win2K server as a backup. Sure you'll invest in the new hardware, but then you'll have the added advantage of a backup server, and that is never a bad thing.

One last thought. I'd wait, not only until 2003 is released, but I'd also be patient and wait until the first service pack gets released before making a switch. I'm sure I don't have to explain why. Especially if your company depends on the server. I tested the trial version and it seemed pretty darn stable, but one never knows with Microsoft product.
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

as far as I know win03 is already out. I don't know if the service pack is out yet thou.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

the full version of 03 is decent, but I would also agree to wait for the
1st SP to use in a production environment.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Given Microsoft's history, I wouldn't expect the first service pack to be out until at least 6 months after the official release.
  • ljCharlie
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ljCharlie

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you very much for all the responses. The domain server is an NT 4.0 server and we buying a whole new computer for that. However, this question is regarding upgrading/new install the OS on an Oracle database. Would it be too awful to do a new installation or upgrade to an Oracle database server? I guess this is a better question.

ljCharlie
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

If the win03 install is similar to XP pro full version install make sure you use the file & settings transfer wizard. If not then you will have to make allot of corrections to the other programs you have loaded. I found that one out the hard way :( then I tried the file & settings wizard on another full install of Win XP on a different machine and it worked like a champ. Just some extra thoughts to give you some extra things to think about :D
  • ljCharlie
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ljCharlie

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks!

ljCharlie
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

oracle is it's own animal, and not really related to this question or topic.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts