Upgrade to Windows 10?

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I keep getting the update notification at boot, recommending me to upgrade to windows 10 while it is for free. Now, I'm not against getting the new and improved windows, besides, I've read/heard some decent reviews on it, but what concerns me (the most) is the privacy issue.

Is it really bad? How intrusive are they into my personal space?

Another concern of mine is program compatibility... would I be able to do everything I do now (and plan to do) on windows 10 that I'm doing on windows 8.1? (Watch movies, use Adove Flash [browser plug-in])... I plan to learn Java and C++ so I would need a compiler, I plan to continue programming, so I would need a local server to run php (don't know anything else besides PHP as online programming language).

So, should I upgrade? What would you recommend?
  • demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member
  • Loc: Conroe, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

If using 8.1 I would upgrade to 10 BUT not from 7.

You can also disable a lot of the privacy stuff.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are there many programs available for Windows 10? Or am i going to have to wait for ages until i could use my program?

Are you saying that Windows 7 is better?
  • demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

If your programs work with 8/8.1 then they will work with 10. <- sameish core.

I am going to stay with windows 7 until Microsoft stops supporting it. It was the same thing I did with XP.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I don't have the luxury of money here to buy 10 once it stops being free (if that ever happens) so I'm thinking of updating to it while it's free (if it's worth it).
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Apparently there are ads in windows 10 app store(official windows ads) that you can remove only by paying. Not sure if this is a killer for me
  • demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Tek Syndicate and HAK5 did some youtube videos on this and how to clean it up.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • spork
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I doubt that browsing the app store is going to take up any substantial amount of your time, fwiw.

You should absolutely upgrade to Windows 10. I can't think of a single compelling reason to stay on 8.1, unless you actually enjoy that useless monstrosity called the Start Screen.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use Windows 10 and do like it more than Windows 7 which is what I used previously. I did not like Windows 8 which is why I skipped that one. Windows 10, in my opinion is much more like Windows 7 but seems faster. I also like how the task bar are on both of my monitors on the bottom, as well as some of the new features Windows brings. The notification system is way better. With Windows 7 and Gulp my notifications would show with some annoying bubble and things could get backed up. With Windows 10 the notifications slide in from the right, and quickly go away which I like.

I feel like I also skip upgrading for a few generations until Microsoft decides to release something worthy, and I feel Windows 10 is worthy to migrate to.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, I guess you guys convinced me to switch over to Windows 10... hopefully I don't regret it
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I switched to Windows 10... this is my first 5 minutes on this OS and I'm already regretting it. Everything (for me at least) is soooo slow. This OS thinks 10x more then it does anything.

For instance... I mistyped a word (The 'regretting' in the above paragraph) and right-clicked on it to get suggestions... waited 15 seconds before I gave up waiting for the menu to pop-up.

Tried to use Microsoft Edge to see what the fuss was about and it's so glitchy, that it's impossible to use! It doesn't even show anything... just a white spot where the actual page should show.

To restart the laptop, I had to log off and then (after about a minute of logging off) restart... and it took 10 minutes to restart (without any updates).

Is it possible to go back? Honestly, Windows 8.1 was a lot better for me (was so much faster, responsive and WORKING). Or am I stuck with Windows 10?

I'll give this OS a few days and if it doesn't get any better then I'll probably go back (if possible).

[EDIT:] Well, Microsoft Edge seems to have started working...
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • spork

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sounds like you might have driver issues. The behavior you're seeing is obviously not typical.

When you say it's running slow, did you open the task manager and try to figure out what process is spiking your CPU?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, this is the second day... just turned it on after a 22 hour break and it seems to be working much better. And as far as the task manager, I wasn't able to get it to open... waited for it too long before I gave up (turned off the laptop).

So far it seems to be working fine...

[EDIT:] Well, I've using my laptop for 2 hours straight playing games (heavy on the laptop), listening to music, downloading/installing applications (CCleaner and GIMP) and generally cruising the web... and the OS seems to react fast on everything! So far, I'm already happy with Windows 10! (Not sure what the problem was yesterday)
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Also not sure if this would help you, after upgrading and making sure you have activated your Windows 10 license, I then installed a fresh copy of Windows. Where I work I did this throughout our office and the fresh installs from scratch all performed much better. Don't do this until your Windows 10 license is activated though, or you will have to revert to your old Windows and go through the entire free upgrade process again (super annoying Microsoft did it this way).

Of course if you do that you will need to reinstall all of your third party software, but for me it was worth the small headache to have a fresh install of Windows 10.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, right now everything is working super fast. Maybe that was some glitchy start, but right now I'm actually happy with Windows 10 and beginning to like it. Though it would be better to start with a fresh install of Windows 10, maybe I'll do that if it starts acting up again.

How do I activate the license? It hasn't asked/prompted me to activate anything. I upgraded from an activated official copy of Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • spork

Post 3+ Months Ago

It sounds like you're already activated. You can check for sure by going to Settings -> Update & Security -> Activation.
  • Jess4mari
  • Born
  • Born
  • Jess4mari

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am going to stay with windows 7 until Microsoft stops supporting it.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • spork

Post 3+ Months Ago

Jess4mari wrote:
I am going to stay with windows 7 until Microsoft stops supporting it.

Just curious, but why?
  • Jess4mari
  • Born
  • Born
  • Jess4mari

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are there many programs available for Windows 10......
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

So far, everything I've used on Windows 7 works on Windows 10
  • demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is an old thread but I am with Jess4mari. I play some games that are for XP. And from what I have heard that WIN10 does not support old legacy games.

Also we still don't know all the data that gets sent back to MS.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

As I see it, MS gets debug information and details about the computer. What kind of processor, how much it works and things like that. It doesn't gain anything personal.

As far as programs and old legacy games, I don't know. If you want, tell me the old legacy games that you're playing, and I'll try to run it on Windows 10. I'll tell you if it works or not.
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've been on Win 10 since December. I upgraded because a game I like to play was supposed to support DX12..... it still doesn't.

For home based, I don't mind it so much. I haven't tried adding one to a domain yet at work. I suppose I'm going to have to start doing that soon though.

Anybody having issues with Win10 in a work domain?
  • Ellari
  • Born
  • Born
  • Ellari

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have done this, but i think windows 7 was much better
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe the experience, in part, is effected by the computer specs. In my case Windows 10 loads faster and is faster then any other operating system I've had before. And my laptop isn't very strong itself... just a regular $400 laptop with i5 processor
  • demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
Maybe the experience, in part, is effected by the computer specs. In my case Windows 10 loads faster and is faster then any other operating system I've had before. And my laptop isn't very strong itself... just a regular $400 laptop with i5 processor

I have upgraded a few laptops to 10 for customers and notice that it was quicker for older hardware. Although it does still love to "blue screen" still easily. Hopefully with the update process more "stream line" should fix those issues. Time will tell.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

demonmaestro wrote:
I have upgraded a few laptops to 10 for customers and notice that it was quicker for older hardware. Although it does still love to "blue screen" still easily. Hopefully with the update process more "stream line" should fix those issues. Time will tell.

That's interesting, I haven't gotten a single blue screen on my laptop. I've also installed Windows 10 on my father-in-law's laptop and a friend of mine has installed Windows 10 on his PC.

Actually, my friend's PC blue screened once... the screen went completely blue with no text on the screen whatsoever. I haven't thought much about it because the PC is super old and has outdated technology stuffed into it.

But I hadn't had any blue screens on my average Joe laptop.
  • demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I say old hardware like it was designed for xp and that was it.. barely meting the requirements with 1ghz of cpu.. lol
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh, I see lol
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • spork

Post 3+ Months Ago

"Blue screens" are just kernel panics (the system gets into a bad state that it can't recover from) and are almost always caused by faulty hardware or device drivers; they're not generic Windows errors.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 30 posts