Upgrading from Windows 95. Suggestions anyone?

• wmthomas1
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • wmthomas1

Post 3+ Months Ago

I want to upgrade and buy a new computer and I currently have Windows 95. I also want to open a relatively simple e-commerce website including receiving image uploads, all this from home. I don't really know what Windows XP is or the purpose for it and I noticed a home version? Also, I recently heard Howard Stern saying something about it being a bad idea to buy through Dell. Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bill
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

First of all, welcome to OZZU wmthomas1

I do hope you take this in the right way, but your post resembles Fred Flinstone asking to meet George Jetson.

For what it's worth...the first step is that no matter what you choose for a new computer will far surpass your old one. I just bought six for my company a couple months ago at $579 U.S that included a 17 inch monitor from Dell and they all work like champs - regardless of what Howard has to say about them. And my company webserver is a Dell also.

The computer is the first step....I'll leave it to others to provide suggestions on the e-commerce things, but at first appearances you have a ways to go. I'd say get the new machine and go from there.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

We just got a bunch of Dells and so far they are great. I personally wouldn't buy one but I am one of those "geeks" who likes to build his own PC. What kind of PC to get depends on what you want to do with it. If all you do is send e-mail and surf the net, you don't need anything fancy. If you want to play games and do graphic designing you will need a higher end computer. But if all you are interested in doing is designing a website a basic computer should meet your needs becauyse it doesn't take much power to type HTML into notepad or use a program to design your site. Another thing to consider when buying a new PC is how hard would it be to upgrade if the need arises. My first PC was a Gateway and once I got the upgrade bug I found that my PC was a pain in the butt to upgrade and I had to get creative. So ask your computer savvy friends or co-workers and read some of the suggestions here and go from there.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

I bought my first Dell in 1994, and it's still in use today (my dad uses it for E-Mail). When it comes to a pre-built machine, they're the best out there. But, like the Grinch up there, I prefer building my own PC.

Gateways suck in my experience. A friend of mine bought one about 8 or so years ago, he had the HD replaced 3 times, the CD-Rom drive 4 times, the monitor twice, and the motherboard once. He didn't give up hope though, he bought another Gateway about 3 years later, and had just as many problems. Now he builds his own PCs.

Personally I use Windows 2000 Professional rather than XP. I hate XP with a passion, and that viewpoint will never change (So don't try to convince me, lol). It's much quicker, more stable, etc.

For an eCommerce site, have a look at http://www.oscommerce.com. It's a fairly involved script to get up and running, but once it is up and running, administrating it is extremely quick and easy, and 6 months down the road, you'll be wondering how you ever got along without it :)
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Personally I dislike windows XP (like axe i prefer 2k) but I think if you are used to 95, you won't really notice the difference!

It will take a little learning (some things will be in different places etc) but it's still windows, the basics are all the same. You will be used to it in no time.

I'm not sure what the difference is between home and pro (exept the price), I've only ever used pro.

I say go for it, either build or buy (that is a separate issue and depends on your knowledge and personal preference), and go for XP or 2k.
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Anchorage, AK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree that building your own PC is normally the best way to get the most for your money, and i suggest that if you are not very computer savvy, contact a friend or co-worker who is. If they are willing to work with you, they will easily get u a better deal than a pre-made system, but u most likely will not get tech-support as well as if u bought a pre-built. Also, dont allow your "computer helper" get too out of hand when he is helping purchase your computer. If he buys like me, he would go WAY over-board jut for the adventure. Remmember that this is going to be your system and that you should get exactly what you want. GL!

:D [/quote]
  • Ragnar78
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ragnar78

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hy wmthomas1

I personaly suggest you wait to grab a copy of XP second edition later this year...

Or try to get win 2000 if you dont want hte shape and look to be too diffrent...

(if your gonna buy a new PC and want to play it crazy...get yourslef an AMD 64 bit and windows XP 6P bit editon :D)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts