Upgrading to Microsoft Money 2003

• mbandeira
  • Born
  • Born
  • mbandeira

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,
I have M.Money 2001, then i upgraded to 2003, and when i try to open the file conversion fails and says that it is from a imcompatible version.

Can anyone tell me why, or if it is possible to go from 2001 to 2003 directelly or i have to pass thru 2002 first.

Please help me, Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm, well I use Microsoft Money 2003 and love it, but I didn't use it to upgrade from a previous version, so I never had to go through what you are. I do remember reading though that it should support any of the previous versions of money. You should not have to purchase Microsoft Money 2002. Is this the exact error message you get?

"Incompatible Version" ?

Please give us the exact error message and exactly what you did to get that error message. That will help us resolve your problem :)
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

I dealt with an issue like this at a client site. They had Money 2000 and
upgraded to 2002 and it gave them all sorts of probs. I'm not able to
give you an answer to the problem, however, I figured you might as well
know that others have had problems as well.

good luck with it.
  • mbandeira
  • Born
  • Born
  • mbandeira

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes,

The exact message was: Money couldn´t convert the file because it's from an incompatible version.

I don´t understand...........hope you can help me
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here is the exact answer to your problem from Microsoft which was previously published under Q304254 :

http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... -us;304254

It says:

SYMPTOMS
When you attempt to open a Money data file, you may receive the following error message:

Money cannot open this file because it was created by an incompatible version.

CAUSE
This behavior can occur if you attempt to open a Money data file that was created with a different localized (international) version of Money. Money data files created in different localized versions of Money may not be compatible with each other.

For example, you cannot use the Canadian Edition of Money to open a Money file that was not also created with the Canadian Edition of Money.

This behavior can also occur if your Money file contains problematic or unusual transactions.

WORKAROUND
To work around this issue, use one or more of the following methods, as needed:

• Make sure that you are using the same localized version of Money that the file was created in. For example, use the Canadian Edition of Money to open a Money file that was created in an earlier Canadian Edition of Money.
  • Verify that dates are entered correctly in your Money file. For example, an account may use dates with a forward slash (/), but the regional settings in the computer may specify a dash (-). This discrepancy may cause Money to fail when it attempts to convert your file.

To identify the regional settings in your computer, follow these steps:
    1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
    2. Double-click Regional Settings, and then click the Date tab.
    3. Note the date style, and then ensure that the style matches the style that you are using in Money.
  • Look for problematic transactions. An account may contain a single transaction that is causing a problem in the conversion. Usually this occurs in Investment accounts.

To isolate problematic transactions, follow these steps:
    1. Reinstall your earlier version of Money.
    2. Open the Money file, and then export it.
    3. Use your earlier version of Money to export your accounts to QIF files. For additional information about how to export and import account information, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
      178830 Money: How to Export and Import Account Information
    4. Reinstall your updated version of Money.
    5. Use your updated version of Money to import each of the QIF files.
    6. If any of the imports are unsuccessful, you will know the account in which to search for the problematic transaction.
  • If all of the preceding steps fail to resolve the issue, use your earlier version of Money to export your accounts to QIF files, and then import the QIF files by using the newer version of Money, as described in the preceding step.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok yeah, now I remember doing something similar. I Exported the old
database and then just imported into the new one. Easy as pie then.

Sorry I didn't remember, it was months ago.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts