Upgrading to Windows 7

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have Windows 7 CD but it's not the Upgrade Version... and to upgrade I heard you use the activation code from the previous OS that was already installed on the computer. Is that true? And if it is, can I do that with out using the Upgrade Version?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

If it's not the upgrade version, it should have it's own product key.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, but if I got the upgrade version, do I use the product key of the previous OS?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I never heard that.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
I never heard that.

Than what do I do? I'm asking this for a friend, because he bought an upgrade and upgraded his OS from VISTA to Win7 but the product key (or the key in the case) didn't work with the upgrade so he gets a notice that he might be a victim of product counterfeiting. And in the bottom right-hand corner it says that the OS is not legitimate. He already spent $200 for the upgrade version and doesn't want to spend $200 more for the product key.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

He should have a product key with the upgrade if he bought it from a legit retailer, or from Microsoft.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/buy/wi ... 27014026:s

Upgrades range from $119 to $199 and require either XP or Vista. If the original OS was legit and the upgrade was legit there should be no issues.

If both the original and the upgrade were legit purchases, then he can contact Microsoft activation and they can work with him to get the product activated.

Use this link for manual activation info
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950929
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh ok. He bought it from Best Buy and told me that the activation key didn't work. I'll talk to him tomorrow and help him get it fixed.

Thank you.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Take it back to Best Buy & grab the guy by the collar.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

As a side thought, the problem may not be with the Win7 upgrade. Win 7 will install will attempt to verify that the original OS is genuine. If it's not it could prevent the install and pop up that message about it not being genuine. However, one would think that your friend would have discovered that the first time they did windows updates on the original OS.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would still return it to the store.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

No, this is what happened. He bought a Mac and wanted to install Win7 on it, so the machine would run both, Mac and Win7. He asked the seller at Best Buy that he wanted Win7 and the seller sold him the update version. My friend, not knowing too much about this bought it, and now he can't activate it with the activation code.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I stopped using dual boot 10 years ago.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
No, this is what happened. He bought a Mac and wanted to install Win7 on it, so the machine would run both, Mac and Win7. He asked the seller at Best Buy that he wanted Win7 and the seller sold him the update version. My friend, not knowing too much about this bought it, and now he can't activate it with the activation code.

Please tell me you aren't serious...
He bought a mac and wanted to install Win7? so he spent $200 on a windows upgrade to work with an apple OS? Please tell me I'm not reading this right.

Like could I ask if I could send this to both Steve Jobs and Bill Gates? I'd love for them both to enjoy this.

I'm sorry but this has got to be the funniest thing I've ever read on ozzu...
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Win7 on Mac hardware... he had no problems with it at all as long as he had it. The machine is fast and no complaints besides the fact that it still not activated for how many months he had it.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Think about it bogey. Do you think that Microsoft is actually going to allow activation on MAC hardware?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
Think about it bogey. Do you think that Microsoft is actually going to allow activation on MAC hardware?

I guess not... they actually check for that? :lol:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts