Upon External Hard Drive connection -->100% cpu usage

• Synjn
  • Born
  • Born
  • Synjn

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a Western Digital 1TBgb external Hard drive and whenever I plug it in to the USB port on my computer the cpu usage goes way up to 100% and explorer.exe is 90-100% using it. I can't do anything. Last night I ran a scan with Avira and it found a KidoIV worm or something in the recycle bin on my external hard drive. Couldn't delete it though. Now this.

If I plug into my other computer, I get the same results. I have EVERYTHING on that hard drive and i am using about 700gb of it. I currently have no other hard drive big enough to get everything off it. Is there anyway to fix this other than nuking the hard drive?

Thanks to anyone who can help
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you know how to use Linux, boot the machine with a Live CD. I like backtrack 3 but there are others. Actually, a windows Live CD, such as BartPE, might work too.

Transfer your files to that machine & wipe the WD.
  • Synjn
  • Born
  • Born
  • Synjn

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
If you know how to use Linux, boot the machine with a Live CD. I like backtrack 3 but there are others. Actually, a windows Live CD, such as BartPE, might work too.

Transfer your files to that machine & wipe the WD.

A simple chkdsk of the External HD fixed this issue. I was very surprised. Afterwards I downloaded AWG antivirus free trial and removed the Kido.iv worm off my External HD and my flash drive.

Thank you for the input.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's fantastic. I never had that much faith in chkdsk. Create a second backup, just in case.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts