To use anti virus or to not, that is the question

• StarScre4m-
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • StarScre4m-

Post 3+ Months Ago

Who here uses norton mcafee e-trust ect virus software?

I have been using computers on the net for about 8 or 9 years, and have never run iton a virus via the internet. am I lucky? I hear about all of these virus' and I never get them without even buying anti virus software.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ShEDeViL
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

So it's not that you don't/couldn't have viruses on your computer, it's that even if you did you wouldn't ever know because you have never scanned your computer? The thing with viruses (mainly trojans) these days is that most of the time you don't even notice that they are there.

Personally, I would reccommend that everyone have some sort of virus software and run scans frequently.

I've used Norton for years and will continue to do so.
  • Popi
  • Born
  • Born
  • Popi
  • Loc: Philippines

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you choose not to install an anti-virus program on your PC, you can still scan for viruses using free, online virus scanners such as Trend's Housecall.[/url]
  • StarScre4m-
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • StarScre4m-

Post 3+ Months Ago

ShEDeViL wrote:
So it's not that you don't/couldn't have viruses on your computer, it's that even if you did you wouldn't ever know because you have never scanned your computer? The thing with viruses (mainly trojans) these days is that most of the time you don't even notice that they are there.

Personally, I would reccommend that everyone have some sort of virus software and run scans frequently.

I've used Norton for years and will continue to do so.

I have run scans and they always come up clean.
  • DuckIT
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: London, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think you've been lucky then or perhaps you don't use your machines as intensively as some people. I'm very careful but have still managed to pick up 3 or 4 viruses trojans over the last few years.

Its especially embarrassing if you manage to contract one that sends itself to everyone in your address book (not that i've had it personally, but i've been on clients sites with major outbreaks and seen all the calls they've got and apologies they've had to send out!)

S
  • Talos
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Colorado Springs

Post 3+ Months Ago

I myself am a firm believer in running virus software while running windows, I use norton and stand behind them firmly. As far as getting a virus most people who understand how they are spread and keep virus protection normally do not run into many of them unlike people who no matter how much you tell them not to need to see what that person they dont know sent them as an attachment in their e mail. I set mine to autoupdate and run a scan at least once a week when im not home. You can also avoid e mails that spread through your contact list by using people like yahoo or hotmail for your mail, as far as i know they cant use any contact lists from a web based e mail. anyway to answer your question and shut up yes I would run something to protect you.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

StarScre4m- wrote:

I have run scans and they always come up clean.

I don't get it? How do you "run scans" if you've never bought a virus protection program?

StarScre4m- wrote:
I hear about all of these virus' and I never get them without even buying anti virus software.

IF you've been using free scanning stuff off of the internet, then you have been using virus software. It would be interesting to learn how you can run scans and know that you don't have a virus when you've never bought anti-virus software.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

As people have said there are many viruses that you wouldn't even know about if they are on your system, and you can't run a scan without a scanner (duh!). I also wonder how good the free online virus software is?

To me, a firewall and antivirus is like locking the front door when I go out. I live in an ok neighbourhood and if I left the door unlocked I would <i>probably</i> not get burgled. However, I still like to lock it just in case.

I can't see why you say to not use antivirus? My copy of Norton 2k4 cost like £30. It doesn't use much system resourses (except at hlaf three in the morning when it scans every night. It has no downsides and plenty of benefits. You have been lucky. You will regret it if you get hit hard by a virus one day.....
  • Ragnar78
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ragnar78

Post 3+ Months Ago

he might be running webscan...
the main point i guess here is the realtime protection discussion...

Anyway, i waned to ask tehcies...
how does and AV catch a virus?cause i've done some experiments at my place and my Freinds house...
well i have Pc Cillin, and i downloaded the virus sasser compiled with borland (in a zip) and Pc Cillin didn't catch it before i actually run it...
At my freinds house, Norton is installed and the virus was detected even befor the download :?
I always hated norton for being so lame in installation and liveupdate and stuff...but know i might reconsider for next year's licence...*
  • StarScre4m-
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • StarScre4m-

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a copy of norton for scanning when I have suspect. I do not activly keep it installed. I have all of the new defs on a bootable and update it at work all the time. Just to have it in case, but the thing is that I have never realy seen a problem at all with a virus. So just so you know I am not full of crap, I have done real scans, and not just the free ones.
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use an online scanner. Free and so far so good.
no problems at all. :-)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts