Using Remote Desktop Connection to access work server

• ljCharlie
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ljCharlie

Post 3+ Months Ago

Anyone know a way or how to use the remote desktop connection to gain access to a remote server 2003? Can I just typed the IP address of the remote server in the Computer textbox? If I do a browse, I only see computers that are under my domain controller.

Now there is the Remote Desktop Web Connection, but it seemed that I have to install the IIS to host a Web site on the Internet to use this feature. Is this true? I don't want to install IIS web server to the server at work just to connect to it. Is there a way to get around this? Or am I missing something here?

ljCharlie
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You'll need the server IP and the port# they have set up for access, plus an authorized username and password. Windows XP comes with remote desktop. For other Windows versions it can be downloaded at Microsofts site. It doesn't require IIS
  • ljCharlie
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ljCharlie

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the tips. So if I have the remote desktop connection installed on my computer, which is Windows 2000 Pro, all I need is the IP address and port number of the terminal server, correct? How do I find out what the port is on the server?

One more thing, if I want to access my server at home from work using the same method but my server is behind a Netgear RT314 router. However, my server is configured to be a DC, DHCP, and DNS server. But how do I access it from work?

Thank you,

ljCharlie

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts