Utilizing Hard Drive after replacing it

• snail
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • snail

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am planning to replace my internal Hard Drive on my Acer 5610z with a new hard drive with XP pro installed on it. I want to still be able to use the hard drive I have in there but perhaps within an enclosure(if necessary). How would I keep the functionality of the hard drive I plan to replace? What connections are needed/will allow me to take files from the HDD and send files to it?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I really like those enclosures. However, you may have to reinstall the programs on your new drive which will be the system drive. By the way, if XP is already installed on the new drive, there may be a driver conflict. Where is the new drive coming from?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

@Don -- Looks like that laptop comes with Vista installed, I came across a few results about downgrading to XP from Vista for that laptop model via Google when I unsuccessfully looked for an HDD model/type.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Then maybe the driver issue is already covered. I have to chuckle a little when the term downgrade is used to go back to XP from Vista.
  • snail
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • snail

Post 3+ Months Ago

did you find the drivers for the sound or video?
I tried driver guide but the only thing of value there was a tool that exports all drivers already on the machine(which I neglected to use before installing a HDD which would house the XP installation(it didn't come with XP on it)).
I noticed something strange: the disk drive showed up as CD drive then when I put in a DVD it says DVD-ROM. However, when I open up my disk project to make a data DVD the option is not available... it was before on Vista...which I read "does not need drivers for the disk drive..~~(unsure about this part:) because it identifies the native components.."
Did you find a compatible driver for the disk drive?? (it's called "DVD-Super Multi double layer (support DVD-+R Double Layer/DVD-+RW)"

yeah, "downgrade" is a laugh. I can actually use the computer now.

Another strange thing: the functionality of several side board keys and the four launch manager keys(top right) has ceased. The mouse's scroll has never worked and the left click is stubborn. Soon after the XP installation I used the Vol+ / - keys and they worked. I also used some of the 4 launch manager keys and they worked(though progressively stubborn).
Now they don't work.

I am thankful the powerup button is not like this.
Another complaint I'll throw in about this model(Acer Aspire 5610z(2966) is that the ethernet is located right next to USB's which results in USB devices being jammed in (because user is not paying attention ^^) the ethernet port and causing confusion(why doesn't it work??! ...oh, stupid ethernet location)
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts