VAMP problems

• devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

It seems my apache on my vista machine has stopped working. I've restarted and started apache services and rebooted the computer.

Everything is a fresh install and had been working nicely.

I made a new drive partition G: and installed my VAMP. So, I would normally get to a site on my vista machine by going to http://localhost/foldername/index.html and I just get an 'internet explorer can not display the webpage' like if I was trying to go to an actual website but was not connect to the internet.

Of course, G:\webserver\htdocs\folername\index.html will take me to the page.

Is it something to do with using localhost but I'm not sure what to use instead of localhost because I'm viewing the pages from the same ip address? My computer is connected to the internet too via DHCP so I'm sure my ip changed, but I'm on viewing the pages from the same machine my G: drive is on.

Please let me know some steps to take to diagnose this problem better for you guys and/or fix it. Many thnx.
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, I was right only because I've had this issue with IIS on an entirely separate vista machine I was playing with. I remembered that I just had to use 127.0.0.1.

So, now instead of using localhost I use 127.0.0.1 and I get my webpage on my G: drive.

How can I get it to use localhost again as that's easier for me than the ip? I assume there has to be file to map localhost to 127.0.0.1 like a DNS or something, but I'm lost.

localhost still works for making a mysql connection. Should I change it to the ip in my db connection script too?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

You will probably need to edit your HOSTS file.
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thnks grinchy. Googled Update Windows HOSTS file and got some good hits that look like they will get me smoothed out as far as mapping the ip.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts