Very slow login times

• Alkatr0z
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Alkatr0z
  • Loc: Adelaide, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hiya,

I'm trying to fix up various problems on a Server 2003 SBS domain and have come across this problem of very slow login times. Looking around it appears that its most commonly caused by DNS issues. So as a result I've been having a good hard look at DNS issues. Anyway the domain itself is smallbusiness.local
But the SOA is set to server.jtg.local.
I'm sure this should be server.smallbusiness.local, by the same token in the Name servers there were two set, one was server.jtg.local with no corresponding IP address adn the other was server.smallbusiness.local. I've changed the SOA around and removed the dummy Name Server. but I'm still left with one last issue.
When I do a ipconfig /all on the server I see that the Primary DNS Suffix is set to jtg.local and the DNS Suffix Search List is also jtg.local. Checking the name of the server revealed that its computer name is set to server.jtg.local.
Are these DNS issues really likely to be related to the slow login process?

By the way my workstation has a dns suffix of smallbusiness.local and dns suffix search lists of the same.

Another issue with it was that the root servers had all been removed and in their place was the hostname for itself, so replaced the root servers.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Since everything is .local, I would try some entries in the hosts file in conjunction with DNS.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have never used SBS and from what I understand it is supposed to be a one server solution, correct? Meaning Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, et al are all installed on the one server??

What it sounds like to me is someone changed the domain name and never updated the DNS which sounds very absurd to me as AD needs DNS to function properly. You can try doing this and this to fix the DNS suffix on the server.

Worth a shot anyway.

DNS can definitely affect login times, you will normally see this at a branch office that has to cross the WAN to authenticate. Usually adding a DNS server or a Domain Controller to the branch office will speed things up.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

SBS is what I use also and it is a one server solution.

I had a similar issue, though when we upgraded servers and I had a temporary mirror DC in the loop.

These instructions helped solve the problem
http://windowsitpro.com/article/article ... oller.html
  • Alkatr0z
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Alkatr0z
  • Loc: Adelaide, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay a bit more debugging and checking around has given me this. Despite the DNS server being given out as a IP address to the clients they were looking at it as jtg-server.jtg.local when its meant to be jtg-server.smallbusiness.local. Anyway a addition to the hosts file in my system of
Quote:
192.168.4.150 jtg-server.jtg.local

gave me a very fast login time so it looks like that is the issue.
Yesterday after reading everything I could find on disjointed DNS and resolution of it I noted that to change the dns search suffix on windows server 2003 does not require removal from the domain or any special tools so modified the DNS search suffix which I am now just waiting to restart the server.

However will the Primary DNS Suffix configured on the server be affecting the DNS server address that it hands out to clients?

To respond to the posts above I have changed the DNS search suffix on the server since it didn't match the domain and it wouldn't have been intentional in this environment. Now just waiting upon the opportunity to restart the server when it won't interfere with any business functions. I believe that should solve the problem on the systems which will mean that I can finally join all the systems to the domain instead of just the few that are currently on here.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts