IE very slow

• Pooky
  • Pooky

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, I'm using Internet Explorer, and I'm also using Cable modem. Lately, when I use IE, it loads very slowly, it takes like forever to load a page, and it's very slow, and it's very annoying to have to sit there and wait for the whole page to load. Is something wrong with my IE? or just my computer is slow? please help. thank you. :roll:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Operating System would be helpful for starters...
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello Pooky,

Which version of IE are you using? What OS are you currently using? Also, what are your computer specifications?

In the meantime, try cleaning out your cache. Also, scanning for spyware might reveal some nasties that could be slowing things down.

If this doesn't help, we can figure out what to try next.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think clearing the cahce (and cookies and history) will solve it. I posted about this before, but at least IE 6 SP1 for Windows 2K defaulted to reserving over a gig of temporary memory, which IMHO is totally uncalled for
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree. Especially if you have a broadband connection. I'm on dialup and my cache is set to ~50MB.
  • ThATKiD
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: somewere over there

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah i remember that one why do you think that it needs so much ?
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not sure why the default setting is so high. You only need a fraction of that amount.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Symantec Web Security Instructions suggest to set it to the lowest setting possible. I've set all the network computers to 5 MB and I don't notice a difference at all. Pages load just as fast whether they are cached or not.
  • ThATKiD
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: somewere over there

Post 3+ Months Ago

i did the same to my internet exploerer since i dont use it as much and i havent noticed a diffrence loading pages with out aloarge flash intros. pages with large flash movies take longer since before my computer used tos tore the movies in my hd. watse of space if you ask me
  • Pooky
  • Pooky

Post 3+ Months Ago

um...i'm using Windows XP professional, IE version...6.0 how do i find the other specs?? :roll:
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I take it you're still having problems? Have you tried deleting your temporary internet files?

If not, go to Internet Options, under Temporary Internet Files click Delete Files. Also, click Settings and tell us how much disk space is being used for your temp files.

If that doesn't solve your problem, we'll try something else.
  • bluedragon
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • bluedragon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Before reading everyone's replies, Mozilla Firefox is a really nice browser. Check it out.
  • Pooky
  • Pooky

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok. i think it was my temp files. coz it seems normal now. thanks guys!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

:thumbsup:

//Edit -- just a side note -- if you haven't changed the setting for how much space is allocated for temp files you'll run into this problem again. Be sure you've lowered it significantly. For broadband connection like you have anything over 5 or 10 MB is unnecessary. (It does need a few megabites to function normally, but not much).
  • mzawwin
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mzawwin

Post 3+ Months Ago

if i were you i would just get rid of that bulky IE and go with Opera or Firefox - blazing Fast!! No debugging code built in so there might be display errors on poorly coded pages...but if you are designing a website, using opera will ensure proper coding on all browsers!
  • DR01D
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

i had the same problem with ie once, my cache was so full it couldnt store the images as their correct format it was saving them as bmp files. but crearing the cache sorted it all. ;-)
  • freeworldgroup
  • freeworldgroup
  • Loc: sydney australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm getting a similar problem - my version of IE 6.0.28 sometimes slows way way down when loading pages. I have a cable modem 2Ghz PC with XP. This problem comes and goes and I now have no idea how to fix it.

Deleting temp files etc used to work, but now it makes not difference - loading speed is really slowly - much slower than with a dialup connection.

HELP!!!

Also creating a new user profile used to help, but that too does nothing nowadays... I'm stumped...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts