Virtual memory on Win XP

• The^Watcher
  • Student
  • Student
  • The^Watcher
  • Loc: Sabah, Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

hello...

can anyone help me about this virtual memory.
i'm currently using Win Xp as my OS, Intel Celeron 1.8 Mhz on Cpu...
i usually faced a problem while starting my Pcs, where an annoying windows says "virtual memory running low..." after that, i cannot use the pc and have to restart it over and over again until the massage disappear...
can anyone suggest what the best things i need to do with my virtual memory...???
Do i need to increase the virtual memory, and what are the suitable size i need to put on it...
lastly, how can i solve this problem???

thank you..
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Ragnar78
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ragnar78

Post 3+ Months Ago

How much Ram do you have?

Usually Virtual Memory should be set to 1.5 timesthe amount of ram you have (2 times if you have a big amount)

I guess you do not have enough ram so the amount of VM is being used totaly...

Either buy some ram, or right click on the "my computer" icon, Property
Advanced...
go to the VM settings and change the value to MAX 2times the amount of ram you have...

Good luck :)
  • The^Watcher
  • Student
  • Student
  • The^Watcher

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for the advice...
hmmm i using 128mb of ram...
so if i buy another ram, do i need to change a setting in BIOS or what?
can u give me the suitable size for the virtual memory based on my rams?
thanks..
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ragnar wrote:
Usually Virtual Memory should be set to 1.5 timesthe amount of ram you have (2 times if you have a big amount

What Ragnar said should have answered your own question. But if you have 128MB of RAM you should set your VM to 1.5 or 2 times that amount which would be 192MB or 256MB. If you buy more RAM you shouldn't have to change anything in the BIOS. Your motherboard should be able to recognize the RAM and continue marching on.
  • The^Watcher
  • Student
  • Student
  • The^Watcher

Post 3+ Months Ago

oooo 1.5 or 2 times of my ram...
but which size do i need to change INITIAL or MAXIMUM size???
i have try to increase my VR several time but yet, it still keep disturbing me... if i increase my VM into a large size, do my PC getting into trouble??? what are the main cause of this problem (Virtual Memory)??

hmm one more problem... each times i start up my PC, i have to wait several minutes (6-9 minutes) before i can ues it? how do i speed up the windows start up?? i getting tired of waiting it...

can u suggest regarding my problem??

thank.
  • Ragnar78
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ragnar78

Post 3+ Months Ago

Honestly...buy more rams...
Buy a new set of 333MH ram 256 or 512

IF you put more then 1.5 or 2 the time of ram windows might become unstable because it wont handle it correctly
  • The^Watcher
  • Student
  • Student
  • The^Watcher

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok..
but how do i know which ram is suitable with my motherboard..
do ram need to match with a motherboard or all ram is suitable with it???
bcoz.. i'm new to a PCs.. :wink:

thanks...
  • Ragnar78
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ragnar78

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well you'll have to check the hardware information of your motherboard if it support DDR or not...

If it does than get yourself the 333MH 512MB rams...
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

The best thing to do is find out what motherboard you have and go to the manufacturer website and check the specs. It will list how much RAM your mobo will hold and what types of RAM it will accept. If it is a fairly new mobo it should support DDR. As far as setting your VM this is what Microsoft says:

Quote:
By default, Windows XP sets the initial size of the page file to 1.5 times the amount of RAM in your system, and it sets the maximum size of the page file to three times the amount of RAM. For example, on a system with 256 MB of RAM, the page file's initial size will be 384 MB and its maximum size will be 768 MB. The default values work well on most systems, but you may want to customize these sizes to suit your own configuration. Here are some notes about custom page file sizes:

The less RAM you have, the more likely it is that Windows XP will use the page file, so the Windows XP default page file sizes make sense. If your computer has less than 512 MB of RAM, you should leave the page file sizes as is.
The more RAM you have, the less likely it is that Windows XP will use the page file. Therefore, the default initial page file size is too large and the disk space reserved by Windows XP is wasted. On systems with 512 MB of RAM or more, you should set the initial page file size to half the RAM size, while leaving the maximum size at three times RAM, just in case.
If disk space is at a premium and you can't move the page file to a drive with more free space, set the initial page file size to 2 MB (the minimum size supported by Windows XP). This should eventually result in the smallest possible page file, but you'll see a bit of a performance drop because Windows XP will often have to dynamically increase the size the page file as you work with your programs.
You might think that setting the initial size and the maximum size to the same (relatively large—say, two or three times RAM) value would improve performance since it would mean that Windows XP would never resize the page file. In practice, however, it has been shown that this trick does not improve performance, and in some cases can actually decrease performance.
If you have a large amount of RAM (at least 1 GB), you might think that Windows XP would never need virtual memory, so that it would be okay to turn off the page file. This won't work, however, because Windows XP needs the page file anyway and some programs may crash if no virtual memory is present.

There are tons of websites that discuss VM settings and a lot of them have different views on what you should set it at. So do some research and try a few settings out until you find one that works best for your system.
  • SEOing.com
  • Born
  • Born
  • SEOing.com
  • Loc: LA, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks Guys for sharing this info since I'm currently facing this problem too. Mine is 256MB RAM and I'm runing XP Pro. I think it is a little small though. Maybe I should upgrade to 512MB RAM.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here's how to identify your Intel Motherboard without opening the computer:

http://support.intel.com/support/mother ... entify.htm

Once you've Identified the motherboard, you can find out what RAM is supported by finding the motherboard here and reading the specs:

http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/

Of course, you could just pull the RAM out of the socket and look at it. The type is written right on it. As long as you get another stick of the same type (i.e. PC100, PC133, 333Mhz, etc) you'll be fine. The reason for looking up the motherboard though is to find out the maximum amount supported. In other words, it won't help you to buy a 512MB card if the max supported is only 256MB.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts