Vista Home Premium Installation = Failure

• jammer2552
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Right. To self: Welcome to the world of Vista. :roll:

Specs:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz
HDD: HITACHI Deskstar T7K500 (320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5")
CD/DVD: LITE-ON Combo Drive Black SATA Model SHC-52S7K-05
PSU: IN WIN IP-P460Q3-2 460W ATX12V V2.2 Active PFC
RAM: GeIL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (4GB Total)
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-965G-DS3
VID: NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS

Vista Upgrade Advisor gave me a clean bill of health. (Pfft...)

So, I proceed with the install (Planning to use SHRINK to resize my existing XP Partition and dual boot).

First problem: My BIOS revision (F6) didn't fully support ACPI, so I flashed the most recent version on (F10) and I got past the gray loading bar.

Current problem: Once the installer loads, the gray bar goes away, a second of black, then the Vista installer background shows up (Pretty). Then... wait for it... nothing happens. No HDD activity, CD/DVD is still spinning, but all I see is the background. Computer hasn't frozen since I can still turn Num Lock on/off.

Any ideas? :'(
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

My first guess is it has something to do with your SATA drivers. I've never installed any OS on SATA drives, but I think that's the first thing I'd suggest looking into. You're no doubt going to have to find a way to load your SATA drivers first before you can continue the install.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

From my understanding Vista will recognize most SATA drives, that was one thing XP could not do.

Is this 32-bit or 64-bit? I had issues installing 64-bit Vista on an AMD X2 but 32bit installed perfectly. Oddly enough the same laptop was able to install Windows 7 64bit without an issue.
  • jammer2552
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

32-bit, and I've had XP installed and running perfectly since May of 2007 on that SATA drive.
  • jammer2552
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thought I might mention that I do have two CD/DVD drives, with one being SATA and the other being IDE. I have tried it with the disc in either but the result is the same.

Perhaps when I get back home I will unplug the slave drive, remove the video card and try to install it with the onboard video and one drive.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

how long are you waiting when it hangs?

A little searching shows this to be a somewhat common problem with no definitive answer as to what causes it, however a couple posts like this one seem to indicate hang time can last as long as 10-15 minutes or longer. About half the posts I read seems to hang after first reboot. Seems like most of the posts I read have SATA drives in common but no indication that is the problem.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=vista+in ... t-pKG9Bvxc

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=off&n ... t-pKG9Bvxc
  • jammer2552
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm... lets see if my impatience is getting the better of me then.

I'll post back once I've waited ~30 minutes. :)
  • jammer2552
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well... I came back home and changed a few things in BIOS first. I enabled USB Mouse/Keyboard support (Disabled when I flashed new BIOS), and also set CD-ROM as first boot device. Normally I just press F12 and choose CD-ROM for that session only.

And the final result? It works without a hitch. It's "Expanding files (43%)" as I type.

:) Thanks guys.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think that might be a good point about USB Mouse/Keyboard support. Since Computers are no longer shipped with PS2 devices I can't tell you the number of times I've had to do some reboots just to get the mouse and keyboard recognized. My hope is this will be a good reference post for people with this same problem.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts