Vista security "Useless"

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Two security researchers have developed a new technique that essentially bypasses all of the memory protection safeguards in the Windows Vista operating system, an advance that many in the security community say will have far-reaching implications not only for Microsoft, but also on how the entire technology industry thinks about attacks.

Quote:
By taking advantage of the way that browsers, specifically Internet Explorer, handle active scripting and .NET objects, the pair have been able to load essentially whatever content they want into a location of their choice on a user's machine.

Check out the entire article. It's an interesting read.
http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/ne ... 95,00.html
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Uh Oh!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've really never had any intention of loading Vista onto any of my work machines. This is just one more thing to support my reasoning for not touching Vista with a ten foot pole.

I'd rather convert everything here to Mac or Linux before I'd load Vista.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

There are a few people who are opting to run Windows 2008 Server as a "workstation" instead of using Vista. 2008 Server has a lot of the "pretty" features Vista has, you just need to enable them. I am planning on setting up my workstation at work as one to see how it goes.
  • Staed
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have been using vista over one year now and i think it works great. Vista is a great OS for me anyway.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171 wrote:
There are a few people who are opting to run Windows 2008 Server as a "workstation" instead of using Vista. 2008 Server has a lot of the "pretty" features Vista has, you just need to enable them. I am planning on setting up my workstation at work as one to see how it goes.

Really? That seems kind of weird for a server OS to come with features like that.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.win2008workstation.com/wordpress/

You can enable the Aero Theme. By default 2008 server looks like a Windows Server OS but underneath the hood is a lot of Vista features.
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

I haven't planned on ever buying vista for my office either. I don't know if I could ever transition all our comps to linux.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
This is just one more thing to support my reasoning for not touching Vista with a ten foot pole.

I'd rather convert everything here to Mac or Linux before I'd load Vista.

*clap*
exactly..
and yea, vista works for you. but its an M$ product so of course it's compromisable as hell :-X
  • Mr OBrien
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: down a creek without a paddle

Post 3+ Months Ago

If i remember correctly you can tell windows to delete its self.
I myself would not make it valid command for an operating system to
delete its self.
I still miss windows xp. My xp crashed so now i own a computer
with vista. Reading this makes it even harder on me.
Thanks for the info though.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

why dont you upgrade to xp? lol ;P
  • Mr OBrien
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: down a creek without a paddle

Post 3+ Months Ago

How this for a vista glitch.

Ok so I'm just doing the usual i have 31 notepads open(i keep a lot of notes) 23 folders open(i work on a lot of things at the same time) and 9 tabs open in Mozilla Firefox.(yes i do this every day without problem or system lag and still do)I use the view windows stacked side by side feature allot i had used it quite a few times that day.(It actually helps me chose what window i need in notepad)So then i go to my start bar and goto do it again but this time when i do it the whole screen gos black and then its normal again so i try to goto my start bar and then the start bar jumps to the top of my screen as soon as my mouse touches it and half of my icons disappear then the whole os goes into some kind of crazy glitch/programming error and the screen starts flashing on and off. Then everything goes back to normal and then the same scenario i went through this about 5 time then i gave up and manually shut off my computer and turned it back on. It currently operates normal but the icons were messed up example
Mozilla Firefox=Norton internet security icon folder=setup icon.
I restarted it again today and it is normal now i ran a hijackthis and checked it and there was nothing bad on my hijackthislog so hows that for a windows vista glitch.Pretty crazy wouldn't you say?
If you know what would cause this I'm open for an explanation. :P
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have vista, had no choice really ... It was part of my work package ... but I am moving to my new work in 2 weeks and then I'm getting a new laptop with XP on it ... So hopefully in these two weeks I don't have anyone breaking in to my computer ...
  • Isquaretechnologies
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Isquaretechnologies

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oooooops that's really bad. Microsoft will definitely do something for it in short time as they have closed the selling of XP
  • eautocad
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Spring Hill, Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

How about a re title of this thread to "Vista: Useless"
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

because really it isn't ... that may be why ... it is just your opinion that it's useless, not everyone's ...
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Isquaretechnologies wrote:
Oooooops that's really bad. Microsoft will definitely do something for it in short time as they have closed the selling of XP

as long as by 'in a short time' you mean within the next year >.< then probably.

and if the built in security measures don't actually work and windows users are the biggest target for hackers, crackers, etc. then it may not be useless, but the security is. which in turn, if you get hacked or infected with something, it will probably turn your pc into zombie garbage which then would be useless to most people as their only option would be to bring it to a store and pay $1,000,000 to have them clean it out. that makes it kind of useless imo :-X
  • Bozebo
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: 404

Post 3+ Months Ago

I bought a vista machine and downgraded it to windows xp, stupid thing was I had to pay >_> (well... not really a stupid thing but it's unfair)
  • Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm getting a new laptop tomorrow, and it comes with Vista ... I don't think I will be 'upgrading' to XP though ... They will force us on to Vista eventually and phase out XP, and I'd rather not pay to buy Vista over again ... plus this laptop comes with some software that I wouldn't be able to having without paying even more money ...
  • Bozebo
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

well yeah, I don't think they would force xp users to upgrade, they cant. But they can stop selling xp. Isn't the next windows expected to come out in a few years anyway? Seeing as how retarded vista is.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

use linux imo >.<
it's free, prettier, equally usable imo, and free. what more could one want ^_^

Quote:
Seeing as how retarded vista is.

M$ is launching an ad campaign trying to salvage vista's reputation.
  • Bozebo
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

AnarchY SI wrote:
use linux imo >.<
it's free, prettier, equally usable imo, and free. what more could one want ^_^

Quote:
Seeing as how retarded vista is.

M$ is launching an ad campaign trying to salvage vista's reputation.

yeah ^_^ I have ubuntu on this box with dual boot but its insanely buggy for me. Will try it on my next comp properly because It may work better
  • Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, no, they can't use force to make us go to vista ... what I was referring to was that they could stop updating it, supporting it, and activating new (or re-used :D) copies ...
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

eep. i could see the stopping updates and support, but not letting people activate it would probably cause an uproar. either people would burn down M$ (:cheer:), buy a mac, or use linux ^_^ mwahaha
  • Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've tried linux ... a bit too 'involved' for me though ... all this changing of settings buried in some obscure location ... and I really want a Mac but it's an issue of money.

Well there's really no reason to continue activating XP after another couple of months ... they've stopped selling new copies, and people like me can ring up and bullcrap some 'crash and burn' story so we can keep installing XP on new machines.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
... all this changing of settings buried in some obscure location ...
which distro did you use? with each new release in the cycle (usually one abt every 6 months), the distributions are getting progressively better, more usable, and more user friendly.
  • Bozebo
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

On the subject of linux distros (ubuntu)... I find that hardy heron was worse than gutsy gibbon, in terms of the bugs it had running on my machine. I might make a thread about it :/
  • Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ubuntu
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

bozebo, you should make a thread. i've had hardy running on my main machine since alpha 6 and i've had no problems at all :-X
i also put it on a 900mhz p3 and it runs pretty well (psu in main machine died >.<)
breeze, thats what i figured >.<
  • Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

AMARTH6 wrote:
Laughing at microsoft's mistakes doesn't increase our knowledge about computers

Well it does, because we laugh about vista due to everyone doing it to fit in, then we want to know what the hell it was we were laughing about if it ever came up in conversation again so we wouldn't look like the world's biggest idiot. So we read article after article, read the good points of vista and the bad, then continue on laughing which makes us happier in this most dismal serious world. After that we all sit and watch back-to-back Monty Python movies and when they're over we'll laugh about Microsoft some more, this time knowing what we're laughing about.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 31 posts