Vista

• ottof
  • Born
  • Born
  • ottof

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I got a new laptop with xp installed and an upgrade cd for vista. I am curious if vista is stable and worth the effort of the upgrade. From some of the horror stories I have heard it is better to stick with what I have been using. Any ideas?
:?:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I recently bought three laptops from Dell with Vista Ultimate and so far I have had no problems with it. I also upgraded my 5 year old desktop to Vista as well and so far so good. It actually runs it better than the laptops.

So you should be fine but I would make sure you have a way to go back to XP just in case your particular system has issues.
  • psyche
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • psyche

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually I much more comfortable with XP, however when vista introduce its not bad to try new things and lately I find it much better...
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like XP and using Vista took some getting used to but it's slowly growing on me.
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned
  • Loc: Behind you !

Post 3+ Months Ago

many new changes in vista, Like musik it took me some time to get used to it. I think its much better than XP
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

a new laptop w/xp? that's odd..
i've heard that vista has better multi-threading support so if you have a multi-core processor vista would be better for you. but imo if you have no reason to upgrade, why do it? if you choose to, make sure your software is going to be compatible
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

software compatibility is a pain with Vista I still have to use my laptop which has XP pro for some things.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeaa >.< kinda ridiculous imo.
have you intalled sp1 for vista yet?
they made even more software incompatible. oops ^_^
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nope is it available yet?
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

At this point, the only reason I'd ever personally upgrade to Vista is if I wanted to take advantage of my graphics card's DX10 support, which at the moment is not that important to me.
  • Janrocks
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: between

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry.. I'm a bubble burster here.. My experiences of vista so far are.. It is like a very badly set up unix system.. permissions are all over the place, and nothing works properly.. It's slow and bloated.. what a pile of ****. I have started turning vista machines away because they are just too much like really hard work to repair when they get a virus or some n00b (target audience) has mucked them up. Not worth the money, actually not even worth pirating IMHO. ME was better ;)
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh my.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Janrocks wrote:
ME was better ;)

/vomit

Janrocks wrote:
, actually not even worth pirating IMHO.

rofl..which is probably why i haven't bothered with pirating it yet.
...not like i pirate anything anyways, as we all know such discussions dont fly on this forum... O=)
  • HoustonIT
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • HoustonIT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Vista's cool, but you should have an XP box laying around as well. At some point you'll want to do something that you can't with the Vista machine, and unless you still have a XP PC you'll be up the creek.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have yet to run into an issue where I need an XP machine. Of course I am not a gamer so maybe that is why.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171 wrote:
I have yet to run into an issue where I need an XP machine.

ya know, i've had that same experience in relation to vista =] hahah
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

the only one thing i need the xp machine for is uploading to my online photo gallery - vista doesnt allow installation of the registry edit file thingy to allow you to publish to the web :(
  • Devil_666
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Albany

Post 3+ Months Ago

I bought new laptop which has vista home prepium editon and i am satisfied with the same. No issues till date but XP gives good performance than Vista.

GUI mode of vista is best ever but in comparison of performance with XP, its quite slow.
  • deathblade
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: u.k

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171 wrote:
I have yet to run into an issue where I need an XP machine. Of course I am not a gamer so maybe that is why.

i'm a gammer and the only thing i have a problem with at the mo is a few random bluescreens >_< . i have unreal 2004 and unreal 3 i had rappels on here to and i have had no problems with any of them, same for software vista has never gone "what the **** is that" and failed to run it.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 19 posts