VMWare Player

• demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member
  • Loc: Conroe, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am trying to run the VMware player on one of my server and i am getting this following message and i am really unsure as to why its giving me the message. and yet i can run this on a Intel Pentium D processor... but i cannot run it on a Intel Xeon processor.. kinda off if you ask me.

It says

VMware-player-5.0.1-894247
Error: VMware Player can not be installed on this computer. VMware Player requires features that are not present on your CPU. See the product release notes for specific hardware and software requirements.

I am running Windows Server 2003 R2
Duel Intel Xeon 3.0Ghz
2 gigs of ram.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you got virtualization turned on in the bios

If motherboard is really old it may not support, think you need newer then 2003-2005 off the top of my head.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Zealous wrote:
Have you got virtualization turned on in the bios
That is one key part, and the hardware is the other part.

Quote:
When you install VMware Player, the installer performs checks to make sure the host system has a processor that meets the following requirements. You cannot install VMware Player if the host system does not meet these requirements.

64-bit x86 CPU
LAHF/SAHF support in long mode

You can use CPU-Z or a similar utility to determine if the host system CPU is 64-bit capable. CPU-Z shows EM64T (Intel) or AMD64 (AMD) if the processor is 64-bit capable.

If you plan to install a 64-bit guest operating system in a virtual machine, the host system must have one of the following processors. VMware Player will not allow you to install a 64-bit guest operating system if the host system does not have one of these processors.

AMD CPU that has segment-limit support in long mode.
Intel CPU that has VT-x support. VT-x support must be enabled in the host system BIOS. The BIOS settings that must be enabled for VT-x support vary depending on the system vendor. See VMware KB article 1003944 for information on how to determine if VT-x support is enabled.

http://www.vmware.com/support/player50/ ... quirements
  • demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

here is my cpu-z info. for sv-1 and i didnt see anything about the virtualization option in the bios
and sv-2 i didnt see anything about virtulization either.

SV-1

SV-2
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

In the "instructions" section it shows they are both EM64T which is Extended Memory 64bit Technology, so they are both 64bit. However, to meet the requirements VT-x support does have to be enabled in the BIOS.
Check this KB article if you haven't already:
http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/micros ... Id=1003944
Quote:
VT must be enabled in the host system BIOS. The feature may be named VT, Vanderpool Technology, Virtualization Technology, VMX, or Virtual Machine Extensions. Often, you find this setting under a Security screen in the BIOS. The location of this setting varies depending on the system vendor.

Quote:
Some system vendors ship VT-capable systems without the ability to enable VT in the system BIOS. If you cannot find a way to enable VT in the system BIOS, contact your system vendor. An updated BIOS may be available.
  • demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ill have to look around some more. They are both up to date with A06 i think it is. they are both Dell Poweredge 2850

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts