Websites Won't Recognize My User ID and Password

• Involved
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: New York City\Metro Area

Post 3+ Months Ago

:( Recently, I started discovering that websites I had been using for years were suddenly not recognizing me when I tried to log in. I worked for quite a while over the phone with a Verizon techie who got that site's login working again, though he didn't know how he did it. The next time I went to Verizon.com, I got the same message that there is no one with my user ID.

Similarly, when I try to log into Chase, I receive an error message saying either that I have forgotten my ID and/or password, or that I am sending from "another computer". I then have to go through a process to get an activation code in order to change my password. I do, and it works...that time. The next time, the same thing happens all over again.

I've done whatever I can (e.g., cleaning my cache repeatedly, cookies too, rebooting), but nothing works. Any ideas? Thanks!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• richardvan1
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • richardvan1

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow that kinda sux lol

im sorry i really do feel ur pain.. not sure what to say tho ..

Maybe Good luck
  • Alkatr0z
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Alkatr0z
  • Loc: Adelaide, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Checked for viruses? Try capturing the data sent to the webpage with something like Analyzer http://analyzer.polito.it/
  • Dangles
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Dangles
  • Loc: Brooklyn Transplanted into NJ

Post 3+ Months Ago

This could be happening because you keep clearing your cookies.

The Chase one most definitely is because you deleted your cookies. Chase leaves a cookies to identify the computer, most banks do this. If you delete your cookies you have re-enter your info.

Could be that Verizon does this also.

Dangles
  • Alkatr0z
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Alkatr0z

Post 3+ Months Ago

I thought from the way the post was worded that he tried clearing the cookies after it rejected him.. Plus from the wording of the post it looks to me as if they the websites are not accepting his username & password rather than using automated login or them forgetting his details.
  • Dangles
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Dangles
  • Loc: Brooklyn Transplanted into NJ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Could be, I thought since it works for the session, and then doesn't the next time. He had some kind of "clear privacy data" checked, that would delete all cookies and what not each time the browser closes.

I wasn't referring to an auto login. I handle the banking for my company, and currently we use Chase. In the past I used Citibank. Both banks, even though you have multiple security checks, have a cookie set identifying the computer. I found this out as I used to keep "clear privacy data" checked on Firefox, and would loose my ability to login without entering addition info.

Dangles
  • Alkatr0z
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Alkatr0z

Post 3+ Months Ago

Interesting, I'm surprised by that. My bank does not use any cookies.. I would have thought that was quite a major security risk if someone managed to nab the cookies.
  • Involved
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: New York City\Metro Area

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi AlkatrOz and Dangles...Thanks for discussing my problem. I did NOT begin erasing my cookies until AFTER this started happening. I spent a long time today with a Verizon techie who did all sorts of checking and maneuvering on my screen. By the time he was done, I could log on without a problem.

A half-hour after we spoke, the whole thing started again (and I had NOT touched any settings).
  • Alkatr0z
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Alkatr0z

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you tried my suggestions? not sure how useful the analyzer will be by the way as I just realised it *should* be SSL so the contents will be encrypted.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts