WGA and Windows XP

• kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does anyone know if all windows updates now require WGA? I attempted to watch a netflix online movie and it wanted me to install some software and I am not sure if it is valid or not. I am running WIndows XP and know that is the case for Vista but didn't think it would effect XP users.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I recently had to install the Netflix software to watch a movie and was not prompted for WGA. The Netflix software has nothing to do with Microsoft but I did notice it needed to update Windows Media Player. The only thing I had to do was enter in my admin credentials to install it.

As fas as I know WGA only comes into play when you install updates that are not critical or security related.
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

This makes me want to go to *nix of some variety .... my friends have to run WGA on vista whenever they update their software at home and didn't think it would effect XP.

What to do, what to do ... the redundant security that they put in bothers me ...
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

If people wouldn't pirate the software they wouldn't need WGA. WGA is one of those things you have to put up with due to other people being a$$holes.
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Valid point. Just is frustrating and I didn't want to install something that I had no clue about. I have made that mistake back in the day, and NEVER again have I just said "oh OK, click" Better safe then sorry ... Thanks

Tried the evaluation tool thing now that needed to get downloaded and apparently the copy of XP i got from my school has a problem with their key. I got the XP Pro cd there for $5 ... and they overused their license. They had issues with registration before I graduated, I just had not encountered one until now.

Guess I got my $5 worth :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts